• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Steam powered battery charger

Started by Pat McCotter, January 26, 2008, 04:27 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat McCotter

OtherPower website showing their 2kw 48v wood-fired steam engine alternator.

KBCraig

Pat K

Pat McCotter

Welcome home, Pat! I thought of you when I wrote the subject line for this thread.

Lloyd Danforth

Scavaging any heat that you are already paying for is always a good idea

41mag

We used a steam powered battery charger in the Navy.   ;D  Different heat source though (U235).  :o

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Blackie on January 27, 2008, 05:42 AM NHFT
Could one of these be installed in a basement, and used in the winter to help with heating as well?

Sure, but I would suggest that you don't install the steam whistle these folks did.

QuoteYou can hear the steam whistle from 2 miles away when we get a full head of steam built up and start making power.

Pat K

Quote from: Pat McCotter on January 27, 2008, 05:15 AM NHFT
Welcome home, Pat! I thought of you when I wrote the subject line for this thread.

;D 8)

MaineShark

Bald Eagle and I are working on a dramatically-more-efficient version of this technology.

Hopefully, it will be able to supply heat and power to a typical house, safely and without obnoxious noise levels.

Fuel can be anything (wood, oil, gas, etc.) depending on the burner used.  The goal is a modular design that can allow the unit to be customized to the fuel source.

Joe

Recumbent ReCycler

Quote from: MaineShark on January 29, 2008, 09:22 AM NHFT
Bald Eagle and I are working on a dramatically-more-efficient version of this technology.

Hopefully, it will be able to supply heat and power to a typical house, safely and without obnoxious noise levels.

Fuel can be anything (wood, oil, gas, etc.) depending on the burner used.  The goal is a modular design that can allow the unit to be customized to the fuel source.

Joe
Ooh, that sounds interesting!  I think I'd like to eventually get one of those.

MaineShark

Quote from: Defender of Liberty on January 29, 2008, 02:33 PM NHFTOoh, that sounds interesting!  I think I'd like to eventually get one of those.

Yeah, we expect there will be a large market.  Get off the electric grid, without PV panels.

Joe

KBCraig

Quote from: MaineShark on January 29, 2008, 09:22 AM NHFT

That's exactly the kind of thing that interests me. I've been thinking about it, but of course I don't have any actual engineering, HVAC, or science background.