• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Need new email service

Started by TackleTheWorld, January 28, 2009, 07:32 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

TackleTheWorld

My internet provider was sold to a new company, again*, and they are forcing me to change my email address. 
I'm shopping for a new email host.

I'd like 4 or 5 accounts.
I'd like POP email. 
5 Gig of space per account might be nice.
As would be spam and virus filters.
I could get my own domain, or use theirs.
Secure email would be nice if it wasn't too expensive.

Any suggestions or offers?

* verizon to fairpoint,

Tom Sawyer

Your own domain is nice because you can take it with you, if you change hosting no problem e-mail doesn't change. Nice to have a place to put images videos etc and link to them from here etc.

With your own domain you have as many address variations as you want. Whenever you do business with someone on the internet you can use the business name ie. KatToyWorld@YourDomain.com and you can sort you e-mails, track who they give the address to, block the address etc.

dalebert

Velma

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 28, 2009, 07:45 PM NHFT
Your own domain is nice because you can take it with you, if you change hosting no problem e-mail doesn't change. Nice to have a place to put images videos etc and link to them from here etc.

With your own domain you have as many address variations as you want. Whenever you do business with someone on the internet you can use the business name ie. KatToyWorld@YourDomain.com and you can sort you e-mails, track who they give the address to, block the address etc.

Definately!  I've had my own for years...total control over everything.  No matter what internet I have - my domain is always there.

KBCraig

I have several domains, but I've stuck with pobox.com since way before I owned a domain. It's a paid service, but they do a good job. You can have multiple accounts (gmail, hotmail, etc.) pointing to your pobox.com account. It's a forwarding service, not webmail, so you do need a home email account to send it to.

turbo

Google Apps Standard Edition is free and offers everything you specified. The spam filtering works extremely well.

Google Apps

You can (and should) use your own domain(s), registered separately, so that you have complete control and can easily switch to a different provider in the future.

~turbo

Bill St. Clair

I'll echo turbo's Gmail recommendation. I've been using them since shortly after they started their invitation-only beta. They have POP and IMAP, if you don't like the web interface, which I do, in spades. I believe there's a PGP Firefox plug-in available, though I haven't tried it. I copy and paste with the PGP app when I need to do encryption. I've accumulated 1.6 gigs of email, and I'm on some pretty busy mailing lists and never delete a message, except spam.

But it wouldn't surprise me to hear that Google allows the NSA access.

Russell Kanning

I would think that google or yahoo could take of you

FTL_Ian

Google handles FTL's email, and is awesome at it. 

TackleTheWorld

TackleTheWorld

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
I'm trying out the google app/gmail thing first. 

K. Darien Freeheart

I'm actually a bit annoyed that Gmail is the first thing that jumps to mind. ;(

I like a lot of what Google does. At the same time, I feel as if they're slowly falling to bureucracy and.. half-bakedness. That's the best word.

Increasingly, I've been feeling nervous that they're handling my e-mail.

I really need to build new GPG keys...

TackleTheWorld

The google app is working for me so far.  Thanks Turbo!
It wasn't the easiest or quickest thing to set up, but hey, it's free!