• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Bed & Breakfast

Started by Alex, Minarchist Minutema, December 22, 2006, 12:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex, Minarchist Minutema

If you want to open up a small "Bed & Breakfast" out of your house, or lets say a similar 'adventure-company" that does biking tours (and other fun NH related outdoor stuff) and such, where you let up to 5 - 8 people stay at your house so they can do activities in the local area....  does your property need any special kind of zoning?

Any other FSP'ers run a 'B&B' or something similar from their home?

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Alex, Minarchist Minutema on December 22, 2006, 12:16 PM NHFT
If you want to open up a small "Bed & Breakfast" out of your house, or lets say a similar 'adventure-company" that does biking tours (and other fun NH related outdoor stuff) and such, where you let up to 5 - 8 people stay at your house so they can do activities in the local area....  does your property need any special kind of zoning?

Any other FSP'ers run a 'B&B' or something similar from their home?

My guess is that it varies by town, but I would think that in most towns a Bed and Breakfast would be allowed in a residential zone. I found this http://www.madison-nh.org/index.php?id=286 so we know it's allowed in Madison, NH.   ;)

error

The question is, why do you want to ask permission from a bunch of strangers to run a bed and breakfast?

"Because they have the guns" is one possible valid answer...

cathleeninnh

After a couple of years here, I feel like NH is far tougher on these neighborhood/zoning issues than other places. The people are overly concerned with the looks and uses of the community.

Cathleen

error

Keep your bureaucracy out of my house and I'll keep my house out of your bureaucracy. :)

Alex, Minarchist Minutema

Quote from: error on December 22, 2006, 12:27 PM NHFT
The question is, why do you want to ask permission from a bunch of strangers to run a bed and breakfast?

"Because they have the guns" is one possible valid answer...

It's not me that cares what the zoning regulations are..... its just the guys with the guns that care ;)

If I found the right place, I'd most likely ignore the regs anyway... I'm less concerned with the town government though than I am about snooty neighbors.  Usually, its the neighbors who are the instigators of it all. 

In most states the town usually doesnt go too far out of its way to bother you about petty zoning stuff (unless it relates to houses with "illegal" apartments in which case the town bothers you because it wants its share of the money in the form of bumped up property taxes)....

Usually, theres always that one or two nosy gossiping neighbors that has to send in an anonymous or formal compliant to the town.  "My neighbor has a pink flamingo in his yard and its driving down the property values.... I my god, call the neighbors, we have to put a stop to this".

error

Quote from: Alex, Minarchist Minutema on December 22, 2006, 12:43 PM NHFT
Usually, theres always that one or two nosy gossiping neighbors that has to send in an anonymous or formal compliant to the town.  "My neighbor has a pink flamingo in his yard and its driving down the property values.... I my god, call the neighbors, we have to put a stop to this".

My neighbor is a nosy gossiping busybody, call the neighbors, we must put a stop to this!

Kat Kanning

There oughta be a law against busybody, gossiping neighbors.

Pat McCotter

Or... you could make friends with your neighbors.

David

Pat's suggestion is usually a safe bet. 
It doesn't always work, but I find even unpleasant people easier to get along with if you go out of your way to be polite and respectful. 
I used to be a restaurant manager, and this was what I considered the most important tool of the trade. 

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: cathleeninnh on December 22, 2006, 12:32 PM NHFT
After a couple of years here, I feel like NH is far tougher on these neighborhood/zoning issues than other places. The people are overly concerned with the looks and uses of the community.

Cathleen

Less so when you get away from the cities and fancy towns.

error

Keep your community out of my property!

cathleeninnh

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 26, 2006, 07:47 AM NHFT
Quote from: cathleeninnh on December 22, 2006, 12:32 PM NHFT

Cathleen

Less so when you get away from the cities and fancy towns.

You are probably right. Whenever we get out of the southern tier, I find myself wanting to move from Derry. One of these days, I may take off for the woods and welcome Don on days he can leave the job.

Cathleen

KBCraig

(Stolen from a Sunday cartoon):

I don't know about a Bed & Breakfast. I'm more of a Lunch & Nap kinda guy.

Dave Ridley

You'd probably have a couple dozen wild eyed anti zoning demonstrators beseiging any bureaucracy that tried to shut you down, if in fact you did get in trouble for setting up a harmless b & b within 50 miles of Manchester.  Might be a different story if you were causing problems for neighbors, or were too far away from us supporters.  Being on the VT border or way north, or way east would tend to make it harder for us to drive to your town.

Grafton doesn't have zoning, btw.