• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Homeschool alert about New Hampshire Virtual Learning Academy

Started by Raineyrocks, October 25, 2007, 11:54 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

From the HSLDA E-lert Service...
======================================================================

October 24, 2007

New Hampshire Virtual Learning Academy: 
Free Lunch for New Hampshire's Homeschoolers?

Dear HSLDA Members and Friends:

All over the country, private homeschoolers are hearing from local- or
state-sponsored virtual schools. It's easy and free, the schools
promise. You can continue to homeschool and we'll give you all the
equipment you need, including curriculum, "free consulting," and more.
However, many homeschoolers are wary of these too-good-to-be-true
offers.   

Just recently, New Hampshire has joined the ranks of states who have a
government-supported virtual charter schools.  However, New
Hampshire's virtual school is somewhat different from other states'. 
And it is possible that, properly utilized, participation in the
school may benefit New Hampshire homeschoolers.

However, there are risks associated with enrolling in this
government-funded program.  Please carefully consider the information
below before enrolling your children in the school.

First, the Virtual Learning Academy Charter School ("VLACS") is a
public school.  When you enroll your child in VLACS, he or she is no
longer considered a private homeschooled student, but rather a public
school student.  This means that the student is ineligible for HSLDA
membership benefits and services.

Enrolling your child in VLACS also means that you are agreeing to
waive some of your parental rights.  You are also agreeing to educate
your children according to the public school's rules and regulations. 
While this may not at first appear to be dangerous, HSLDA has observed
that these schools tend to increase the regulations each year, thereby
gradually restricting freedoms. 

For example, VLACS will: 

> Develop personal learning plans for your children that must comply
with state requirements; 
> Assess your children according to state requirements;
> Require parents to use the school's secular curriculum;
> Have certified teachers check up on you;
> Force parents into the role of "learning coach."

Second, while VLACS does not offer many of the enticements that other
virtual schools offer (such as free computer equipment), it does offer
something that many of our members would not pay for if they had to: 
free secular curriculum.

Many of HSLDA's members choose to homeschool so that they can freely
communicate their values and faith to their children.  While an
occasional course from a secular perspective (an AP calculus course,
for example) may not pose a problem for a homeschool family,
indiscriminate supplementation of a homeschool program with VLACS
curriculum could introduce content and values many homeschoolers try
to avoid.

Our goal at HSLDA is to protect the right of parents to privately
educate their children, free from government controls and
restrictions.  VLACS is a tax-funded, government program with many
controls and limitations.  It is not the free, private homeschooling
that has been so successful for many years.

Please, carefully analyze the risks and benefits associated with such
a school, and seriously consider alternatives.  As a homeschooling
parent, you are responsible for making choices regarding your child's
education.  Choose wisely.

ADDITIONAL OBJECTIONS TO VIRTUAL CHARTER SCHOOLS

Before you make a decision about enrolling in this program, please
read the following articles: 

"Charter Schools: The Price is Too High," by Christopher J. Klicka 
http://www.hslda.org/courtreport/V18N1/V18N101.asp

"Charter Schools: Look Before You Leap!" by Roy Hanson
http://www.hslda.org/courtreport/V18N1/V18N102.asp 

Thank you for your prayerful consideration of this important matter.

Sincerely,

Michael P. Donnelly
Staff Counsel
Home School Legal Defense Association

d_goddard

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 25, 2007, 11:54 AM NHFT

While this may not at first appear to be dangerous ...

Are you KIDDING me?!?!?!

The phrase "my cold, dead hands" is the first thing that comes to mind...

Rosie the Riveter

I understand your aversion and the stance of the HSLA, but this is a viable alternative for families that otherwise choose between gov. school or private school. In our, totally messed up, system today, most parents find that they have limited options for schooling because of time and/or money constraints. I have to say that, at this point, I will support almost anything that gives parents more choices and in turn more power.

Giving some/more power of choice to parents means taking some power of force away from the educrats and some is better than none.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: d_goddard on October 25, 2007, 12:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on October 25, 2007, 11:54 AM NHFT

While this may not at first appear to be dangerous ...

Are you KIDDING me?!?!?!

The phrase "my cold, dead hands" is the first thing that comes to mind...

I thought this part was bad too:

First, the Virtual Learning Academy Charter School ("VLACS") is a
public school.  When you enroll your child in VLACS, he or she is no
longer considered a private homeschooled student, but rather a public
school student.  This means that the student is ineligible for HSLDA
membership benefits and services.

While this may not at first appear to be dangerous, HSLDA has observed
that these schools tend to increase the regulations each year, thereby
gradually restricting freedoms.

For example, VLACS will:

> Develop personal learning plans for your children that must comply
with state requirements;
> Assess your children according to state requirements;
> Require parents to use the school's secular curriculum;
> Have certified teachers check up on you;
> Force parents into the role of "learning coach."

I like picking my kid's curriculum since I'm the one that's teaching it and your right d_goddard, I am not giving up my parental rights for anybody.  My son went to grade 3 public school last year and they wanted to keep him back because he wasn't up to par with math and literal writing.  I liked the school but I can teach him 3rd grade stuff that he needs again and give him 4th grade materials where he doesn't need 3rd grade again.
I've been trying to get my husband to agree with me to pull our 11 year old out of public school so I can homeschool her again too but I'm not having any luck.  She's a smart independent person and does well in school because of the competitive environment, however, I hate the fact that she's in a government institution where they have more say so than I do for 6 to 7 hours a day. :-\   My husband said the only way he'd pull her out is if her civil rights are ever violated. 
My 17 year old is in 12th grade and she really wants to go through her senior year but she told me today this boy in her class was told he had to be searched because they had a suspicion he was carrying drugs so they took him out to the hall and his entire class could still see him being searched, his locker was gone through and what did they find?  Friggin nothing!  She swore to me that she will make a stand if they ever try anything like that with her because last year she said her school does random drug testing and she will not subject herself to that or being searched.
I also have to teach the girls that if the nurse ever goes to give them a needle or anything to refuse and have me come get them because I'm concerned that they may push this cervical cancer vaccine in sneaky ways.
I remember hearing about something written in the Patriot Act that if there's ever another terror attack, public schools can take the children to undisclosed locations so now I've told the girls if they are try to bus up your school sneak out and call me to come and get you. Not to mention that social services can just snatch up your kids for whatever reasons they want and boom you go to pick up your kid and they've been taken away!
It's a real pain in the ass worrying about this stuff and I wish my husband would be more on board with me about homeschooling.  So now I have my son at home with me while I worry about the girls all day. ::)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on October 25, 2007, 12:54 PM NHFT
I understand your aversion and the stance of the HSLA, but this is a viable alternative for families that otherwise choose between gov. school or private school. In our, totally messed up, system today, most parents find that they have limited options for schooling because of time and/or money constraints. I have to say that, at this point, I will support almost anything that gives parents more choices and in turn more power.

Giving some/more power of choice to parents means taking some power of force away from the educrats and some is better than none.

I understand what your saying and my first thought a few years ago would've been, wow this sounds great.  I'm more suspicious now though especially when it "seems" like the government is trying to help homeschoolers  and people that opt out of what is pushed on people to be the normal thing to do.  Basically you would be under the scrutiny of the public school system and the can even make home visits, no way!  When I started homeschooling in Maryland there were tons of options to teach homeschooled children via the internet that didn't cost a dime, it takes some searching but it is there. :)

Kat Kanning

Incrementalism for more state control of homeschooling.  It's no good.  It's still using stolen money.

d_goddard

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 25, 2007, 06:45 PM NHFT
My husband said the only way he'd pull her out is if her civil rights are ever violated.
Hell, that's the easy part.
All she needs to do is wear a T-shirt with 4 words on it:
"Bong Hits For Jesus"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_v._Frederick

slimpickens

My brother and his wife did homeschooling for several years, and I know 8-10 others who were homeschooled,
and all of them "graduated"2-3 years before public school with less class time.

I would suggest getting the McGuffy readers to any who are interested in this, this is what was once used in schools up till 8th grade. most people couldn't do the lessons in these after graduating from H.S.
       you can still get them from book stores.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: d_goddard on October 26, 2007, 09:42 AM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on October 25, 2007, 06:45 PM NHFT
My husband said the only way he'd pull her out is if her civil rights are ever violated.
Hell, that's the easy part.
All she needs to do is wear a T-shirt with 4 words on it:
"Bong Hits For Jesus"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_v._Frederick

I think it's an awesome idea but Carrie won't do it because she wants to stay in 12th grade and graduate unless she feels her civil rights are violated but she won't go looking for confrontation.  I'd love to be 17 again and know what I know now, I'd wear the shirt!
At least I can be alright with knowing that she'd say screw graduating if they want to search her or take a piss test. :-\

It's my 11 year old that's really bugging me but at what point do I if I could go over Rick's head with a choice that has to do with his kid too.  That's my problem right there!  Yesterday he called the school and told them to get Brandie ready for an early dismissal because she had an ortho appt. and nobody woke me up to write an early dismissal note.

So I get to her school and they haven't even called her down to the office yet, which means they didn't even listen to her father when he called!  I came home and told Rick just how much authority he has with his daughter when she's in school, none!  I went through the whole I want her homeschooled issue again but no luck!  In all honestly last year when we moved here I agreed along with Rick to let them go to public school because they wanted to.  Now I see what a big mistake I made.
Just this morning I told Brandie to wear a winter coat, she says, "but none of the other kids will be."  I of course said, tough shit, put it on.  Here was a totally independent strong willed kid and now she says, but the other kids crap and it's really bugging me, she is changing or should I say conforming.  What do I do?

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 25, 2007, 07:06 PM NHFT
Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on October 25, 2007, 12:54 PM NHFT

I understand what your saying and my first thought a few years ago would've been, wow this sounds great.  I'm more suspicious now though especially when it "seems" like the government is trying to help homeschoolers  and people that opt out of what is pushed on people to be the normal thing to do.  Basically you would be under the scrutiny of the public school system and the can even make home visits, no way!  When I started homeschooling in Maryland there were tons of options to teach homeschooled children via the internet that didn't cost a dime, it takes some searching but it is there. :)

I do agree that this is not a good alternative for homeschoolers, but it may be a good alternative for government schoolers as it get those kids out of the jail aka building.

KBCraig

Arkansas has a similar system, and I think there's a similar warning from HSLDA about it.

Rosie is right: this isn't for home-schoolers. But if it gets kids out of the "soc(iopath)ialization" of the public schools, it's a step in the right direction.