• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Grassroots beginning to the Free State Party

Started by Russell Kanning, January 04, 2009, 11:57 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Quote from: error on January 05, 2009, 12:56 AM NHFT
Did I wake up in the wrong universe? ???

That's exactly what I was thinking. When Russell talks politics, all hope is lost.  :o

dalebert

Quote from: ancapagency on January 05, 2009, 07:56 AM NHFT
If you call it the Free State Party, some of those political members of the Free State Project who are engaged in the Republican and Democratic Parties may ruin it for the rest of us, by advocating for some larger continuation of government--and thus give people a mistaken idea about what members of this party stand for.

Wait a sec. Are you saying they're poisoning the well for us?!

Neal Jiutai

Russell, I fully support the creation of truly pro-liberty political parties, even if only to make a statement. The more competition, the better.

However, seriously, I implore you to name it something other than the Free State Party.

The Free State Project is decidedly non-endorsing of any political action, much less a political party. Such non-alignment has benefitted the project and it's members greatly, and allows them to be part of the FSP and retain their own political beliefs and pursue their own projects with as little association/bias as possible.

An entity named the Free State Party would necessarily be conflated with the Free State Project, and is unarguably named in order to do so. As such, it would make our recruiting efforts and the endeavors of fellow porcupines more difficult.

To speak in your terms, why do such a disservice to fellow voluntaryist/anarchist/non-politicos within the Free State Project by associating and conflating the movement with the very thing they are fighting against?

Myself, and I'm sure many others, would be happy to assist and participate in such an endeavor, if only it were named something else. Still others would at least remain neutral or open to the idea. But if named the "Free State Party," many more would be compelled to disassociate with such an organization, if not outright oppose it.

I really don't want the latter. I want to work with other Porcupines, not against their efforts for the sake of the FSP.

Post Script: Call it the Porcupine Party even, and I'll be glad to help out. Besides, I think that has a better ring to it anyway.

FTL_Ian

It must be politics - the discussion has already devolved into a name debate!   ;)

Friday

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on January 05, 2009, 11:25 AM NHFT
NHLA endorsement for new candidates is done via a questionnaire; for existing candidates, their voting record. And, we're non-partisan, so despite the fact that a lot of NHLA members are Republicans, we will endorse candidates from other parties, e.g., Joel Winters (D) and the several L candidates that ran last year.
There are several L candidates missing from the NHLA endorsed list.

Caleb

hmmmmmm.  hasn't russel proposed this idea before?  8)

ancapagency

Quote from: dalebert on January 05, 2009, 12:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: ancapagency on January 05, 2009, 07:56 AM NHFT
If you call it the Free State Party, some of those political members of the Free State Project who are engaged in the Republican and Democratic Parties may ruin it for the rest of us, by advocating for some larger continuation of government--and thus give people a mistaken idea about what members of this party stand for.

Wait a sec. Are you saying they're poisoning the well for us?!

Yep :)

AntonLee

Quote from: Friday on January 05, 2009, 01:25 PM NHFT
NHLA endorsement for new candidates is done via a questionnaire; for existing candidates, their voting record. And, we're non-partisan, so despite the fact that a lot of NHLA members are Republicans, we will endorse candidates from other parties, e.g., Joel Winters (D) and the several L candidates that ran last year.
There are several L candidates missing from the NHLA endorsed list.

this is surprising to me, since a democrat and republican I've seen generally don't go as far as a libertarian.  I would hope that the NHLA supported the MOST liberty loving people as opposed to someone who 'could win' from one of the lame parties.

Did the NHLA support the Mayor Frank Guinta?  From what I've read of him he's quite a weasel.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 04, 2009, 08:18 PM NHFT
since we don't do politics on this forum .... should we discuss this on the NHLA's forum, or would we we too radical? They might not be able to endorse our candidates, since they are so closely tied to the republicans.
Come on over. ;D
sounds good
I just got my invite to the NHLA forum.

So gang (I mean those of you who are actually interested in starting a radical party) should we continue this discussion on the NHLA forum .... or do you have a better idea?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: BillKauffman on January 05, 2009, 11:45 AM NHFT
How about resurrecting the "Free Soil Party"?
I will leave that to the eminent NH scholar Bill Grennon. Isn't he here somewhere?

Kevin Bean

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 05, 2009, 04:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: BillKauffman on January 05, 2009, 11:45 AM NHFT
How about resurrecting the "Free Soil Party"?
I will leave that to the eminent NH scholar Bill Grennon. Isn't he here somewhere?

Never fear the real Bill Grennon is here!

Like my daddy used to say "Ain't nothin' free except bad advice."

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

Quote from: dalebert on January 05, 2009, 12:26 PM NHFT
That's exactly what I was thinking. When Russell talks politics, all hope is lost.  :o
does it help that it is fun politics .... it is the free state Party after all? :)

Russell Kanning

BagOfEyebrows

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 05, 2009, 07:39 AM NHFT
Quote from: BagOfEyebrows on January 05, 2009, 05:12 AM NHFT
right universe, wrong timeframe - wish we'd all been around during the founding of this nation.  But maybe that's why we're here now.  To form The Shire?  Chance to get it right. 
I think the differences between a voluntary society and government oppression go deeper than the phrases used in a constitution.

I agree, but I think words and documents (re: bibles, constitutons) are what most folks seek as a life guide - if we don't construct something for folks to agree upon and feel a part of, the 'masses' (who basically do desire leadership and 'rules') will have no other option than the documents they have been given (which suck.)

G. Edward Griffin made a good point about this - people like you and others on this forum (including myself) don't want to run people's lives (politically or law-wise) or have control of any sort politically - yet - find themselves in leadership posititions, of some sort, over and over again, in other areas of their lives, without even meaning to or trying.  

Here's the thing, though - Leadership doesn't have to be about control or running things, I've found - the best leadership comes from individuals who literally create a positive spirit in those around them, boosting moral and confidence, and genuinely recognizing and supporting good 'work' and applauding independence to achieve not only the best an individual can offer, but for 'the whole' of the thing, as a total, they are leading.  (does that make any sense?  I'm rambling.  My husband leads like that at work.)

the word 'constitution' is a powerful word (even the U.N. has one, as does the Bar Association) -  through the use of a word (re: constitution) people will understand what is trying to be done is to establish a 'life guide' (for politics, in this case.)  We'd have to get people to understand and subscribe to this philosophy of self governing - the current state constitutions and federal constitutions, although they tried, failed at doing so and have now got us (and mankind as a whole) backed into a really screwy corner.  This can fit into an anarchist platform, in terms of self governing within a known variable of 'the masses' that prefer 'documentation' of what it is they are supposed to be doing.  If it's something individually and personally agreed to and subscribed to (volunteer government only there for the purpose of recognizing and supporting the desires of 'most' to have 'something' to follow as a guideline.)  

Where some don't need that at all, most do - we've gotta come to peace with that.  If it gets the mases on board with liberty and freedom, and I strongly think they only struggle with the concepts because they know of no other way, liberty and freedom, after a while, wouldn't even need 'documentation', they'd be the common sense concepts they actually are - passed down from generation to generation.  You'd need less and less volunteers to run a town or city or state as time went by - it's just the start of a process.  Within the knowns, as they are - and if there's one thing I know for certain, it's that people do WANT liberty and freedom, they just don't fully understand how they would work or what the 'guide' would look like.

Creating a common sense guide for those who need that kinda thing - but just calling it a constitution.