• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Age requirement for buying a gun

Started by aries, February 08, 2006, 06:30 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

aries

Well, I live in NH but I guess I'll ask some of my fellow residents...
Which is the age that you must be for purchasing a handgun? 18 or 21? I know it's one of the two, I just get so much conflicting data on which is the true age.

And from a site like gunbroker... does it matter? Possession age is 18 I know.

I'm off to college in Plymouth soon and I'd like something for personal protection. I'd probably be buying a compact revolver through the gun shop in Whitefield.

KBCraig

Quote from: aries on February 08, 2006, 06:30 PM NHFT
Well, I live in NH but I guess I'll ask some of my fellow residents...
Which is the age that you must be for purchasing a handgun? 18 or 21? I know it's one of the two, I just get so much conflicting data on which is the true age.

And from a site like gunbroker... does it matter? Possession age is 18 I know.

I'm off to college in Plymouth soon and I'd like something for personal protection. I'd probably be buying a compact revolver through the gun shop in Whitefield.

You must be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer (it's age 18 for long guns). It doesn't matter if you purchase through a site like gunbroker; the sale goes through a dealer, and you have to meet federal requirements.

Federal law doesn't apply to in-state sales by anyone other than a dealer, so you can buy privately. There is no federal age for possession, nor NH law of which I'm aware.

Here's a little tripping point, though: you must be 21 to purchase ammunition for use in a handgun. Fortunately, there are carbines that fire the most popular handgun calibers, so you can answer "no" when asked if your .22, .38/.357, 9mm, .40, .45 ACP, .45 LC, or .44 ammo is for use in a pistol.

Kevin

FTL_Ian

Buy the gun on the black market, buy ammo online.  Problem solved.   :icon_pirat:

president

Quote from: KBCraig on February 08, 2006, 07:07 PM NHFT
It doesn't matter if you purchase through a site like gunbroker; the sale goes through a dealer, and you have to meet federal requirements.

Federal law doesn't apply to in-state sales by anyone other than a dealer, so you can buy privately.
You can find NH in-state non-dealers on gunbroker.com. Most are FFLs, but some aren't, and will do a face to face transaction.

aries

Quote from: dead president on February 09, 2006, 01:07 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on February 08, 2006, 07:07 PM NHFT
It doesn't matter if you purchase through a site like gunbroker; the sale goes through a dealer, and you have to meet federal requirements.

Federal law doesn't apply to in-state sales by anyone other than a dealer, so you can buy privately.
You can find NH in-state non-dealers on gunbroker.com. Most are FFLs, but some aren't, and will do a face to face transaction.
That's good to know. My parents don't want me to have a gun, they say that "you'd never use it. there's no crime up here." They forget that I'm going to college next year, and even if plymouth is a quiet town, there'll still be plenty of drunk/stoned college kids who might make stupid decisions.

I think my grandfather is going to help me buy one. He's more "on my side" with this, since he's been hunting and shooting since he was a  very young boy.

GT

QuoteMy parents don't want me to have a gun, they say that "you'd never use it. there's no crime up here."

But it's fun just to go shoot at the range....

[attachment deleted by admin]

aries

Quote from: GT on February 09, 2006, 06:12 PM NHFT
QuoteMy parents don't want me to have a gun, they say that "you'd never use it. there's no crime up here."

But it's fun just to go shoot at the range....

You betcha, my dad is taking me shooting... except in our backyard  8)
They're just not to keen on the idea of me packing, but I'm going to be "legally" an adult in a few months. We'll see how much good that does to calm my free spirit!

Recumbent ReCycler

In NH, you can carry at any age if your parents give the gun to you.  You could always build one.  I'm working on finishing up a 1911A1 that I am building from a kit and an unfinished non-gun "80%" frame.  No paperwork required.  Also, check the school's regulations.  Right now they say that you are not to carry on campus at UNH, but I and some of my friends are working to change that.  I believe that once the AG's office has made a determination, it should start to enforce state law, which prohibits state universities from having rules disallowing firearms possession.  There's a thread about it in the general discussion area.

aries

Quote from: Defender of Liberty on February 12, 2006, 12:29 AM NHFT
In NH, you can carry at any age if your parents give the gun to you.  You could always build one.  I'm working on finishing up a 1911A1 that I am building from a kit and an unfinished non-gun "80%" frame.  No paperwork required.  Also, check the school's regulations.  Right now they say that you are not to carry on campus at UNH, but I and some of my friends are working to change that.  I believe that once the AG's office has made a determination, it should start to enforce state law, which prohibits state universities from having rules disallowing firearms possession.  There's a thread about it in the general discussion area.
School regulations or not... I wouldn't be doing open or conceal carry that often, only when I felt I might be at risk. I would definitely keep it locked during the day as well.