• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Keene Activist May Be Jailed Tomorrow Morning 8/15 Over a U-Turn!

Started by FTL_Ian, August 14, 2007, 10:34 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

coffeeseven

Has anyone checked the disposition of this case with the clerk of the court to see if it has been dismissed or a bench warrant issued?

EthanAllen

Quote from: coffeeseven on August 27, 2007, 09:26 AM NHFT
Has anyone checked the disposition of this case with the clerk of the court to see if it has been dismissed or a bench warrant issued?

But that would pull back the curtain on public theatre!

FTL_Ian

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on August 27, 2007, 12:11 AM NHFT
Video of the event.

You should all know the reason this video took so long to come out is because I sat on the source footage for a couple of weeks until Sunday when I handed it over to Lauren.  She cranked out the final product in less than 24 hours!   :o

I will make a mental note to get the footage into her hands immediately upon completion of shooting, if possible, from now on.

Dave Ridley

Sending this to kpd, sorry for the delay

---

http://www.ci.keene.nh.us:7777/pls/htmldb/f?p=101:1:17693304070228977397

Dear Folks at KPD:

I wanted to express my concern regarding the "illegal U-turn" citation against Keene resident David Manning some weeks ago.   Although this was initially a routine event, his refusal to pay the fine has triggered some needed debate.

My questions for your department:

1) Did Manning's turn harm or endanger anyone?  He claims it didn't, because it was very late and the area was near deserted.
2) Whatever the law may say, is it ever appropriate to punish an adult who hasn't harmed or endangered others?

There are thousands of laws and millions of street signs....no one can obey them all, but all of us *can* exercise judgement and scrupulously avoid harming or endangering others.   If David is to be believed, he was doing just that the night your officer pulled him over.  But was your department?   Did your department harm David by attempting to fine him on penalty of jail?  Did it act to protect anyone or simply in blind obedience to "the law."

Yours,

Dave Ridley
Manchester (Former Keene resident)

FTL_Ian

I corrected the aspect ratio of the video.  Unfortunately in the process a few audio errors crept in but not enough for me to bother re-dubbing.  Both the video and a link to Lauren's article have been posted on Free Keene:

http://freekeene.com/2007/08/30/david-refuses-to-pay-a-fine/

d_goddard

FTL_Ian

She was asking questions about what Dave did in the courtroom, as did a handful of other people who did not make the final cut of the video.