• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Man Jailed Over 50-Cent Toll

Started by JonM, September 15, 2007, 06:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: ladyattis on September 16, 2007, 10:30 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 16, 2007, 04:16 PM NHFT
Quote from: ladyattis on September 16, 2007, 10:43 AM NHFT
It seems like the cops are desperate for more money flow. In this case, this poor man will probably have to pay for everything, and not just his court fees. I hope he gets a good lawyer, but I suspect, even then, he will be bankrupted. All over 50 cents. :(

-- Brede

They'll be paying for his stay in jail, instead of him paying them $150. And this is one reason people doing civil disobedience take jail over fines—they're going to waste a lot more money holding you in jail than the fine you refused to pay was worth.

Wait until they make prisons into workcamps like they do in China. Then prisons will be seen as human resource allocators.

-- Brede

We used to have "chain gangs" in the U.S.; prisoners chained together and sent out to do manual labor for the state, like ditch-digging and road work. These things are apparently making a comeback in the U.S., but nowadays these workers are hired out to private corporations for all sorts of jobs.

ladyattis

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 16, 2007, 11:24 PM NHFT
Quote from: ladyattis on September 16, 2007, 10:30 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 16, 2007, 04:16 PM NHFT
Quote from: ladyattis on September 16, 2007, 10:43 AM NHFT
It seems like the cops are desperate for more money flow. In this case, this poor man will probably have to pay for everything, and not just his court fees. I hope he gets a good lawyer, but I suspect, even then, he will be bankrupted. All over 50 cents. :(

-- Brede

They'll be paying for his stay in jail, instead of him paying them $150. And this is one reason people doing civil disobedience take jail over fines—they're going to waste a lot more money holding you in jail than the fine you refused to pay was worth.

Wait until they make prisons into workcamps like they do in China. Then prisons will be seen as human resource allocators.

-- Brede

We used to have "chain gangs" in the U.S.; prisoners chained together and sent out to do manual labor for the state, like ditch-digging and road work. These things are apparently making a comeback in the U.S., but nowadays these workers are hired out to private corporations for all sorts of jobs.

Very true.

-- Brede