• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Nuts and bolts of Anarchy

Started by David, December 13, 2007, 06:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I cannot control what others do in anarchy.  But I can control what I do.  And in theory, if others like what I do, I can profit from it in some way. 
I want to start with roads, because it seems to be the single most contentious issue for minarchists, even anarchists.  I dont' see it as a horrendously difficult issue, at least if it starts with property ownerships.  The existing roads on the other hand, since they have no clear owner, would be very difficult to work out.   :-\ 
Here's how it works.  I build a road through my property.  I then develop the land and either sell or rent it out.  The most cost effective means seems to be shops and business' on the bottom, and homes on the 2nd and 3rd floors.  Few buyers of my real estate will commit if they have no guarantee of rights of way.  So here is what I have so far.  (it would be appreciated if those reading the following would point out problems and conflicts within the rules, thanks).  These rules apply to any person that chooses to accept them.  It you don't accept them, leave. 

Right of Way

I will allow Right of Way for any person on or through my property indefinitely as long as they follow the following rules:
1. Do all that you agree to do.
2. Do not encroach on other persons or their property.
Please note that rules one and two supper cede any and all other rules that follow. 

3. That you only go where it is clearly marked that you are welcome, except in emergencies.
4. You agree to provide restitution based on loss to any proven violation of rules number one and two. 
5. In any capacity it is your responsibility to communicate your intentions clearly to reduce the likely hood of accidents due to misunderstandings.  For example, when driving a motorized vehicle, you are responsible for indicating any desire to turn, and to ensure that you drive in a safe manner, so as to not jeopardize the safety of another, or to threaten others with aggressive driving actions. 
6. If you are a person in any gov't law enforcement capacity, you are strictly forbidden. 

Promises I agree to make-
You will never lose your Right of Way on my property so long as you follow rules one and two on mine or others property.
You will only lose your Right of Way on my property if it can be proven that you have violated the rules one or two on mine or others property. 
You may regain your Right of Way on my property if you have provided, or are making good on arrangements to provide, restitution for any damages created by a violation of rules one or two on mine or others property.   

Any thoughts?

RD

Quote from: David on December 13, 2007, 06:21 PM NHFTThese rules apply to any person that chooses to accept them.  It you don't accept them, leave. 

What will happen to me if I do not accept the rules, but I do not leave?

David

Quote from: RD on December 13, 2007, 06:25 PM NHFT
Quote from: David on December 13, 2007, 06:21 PM NHFTThese rules apply to any person that chooses to accept them.  It you don't accept them, leave. 

What will happen to me if I do not accept the rules, but I do not leave?

It is my property, I believe in property rights.  I will try to find nonviolent means to convince you to not encroach or defraud or to threaten others.  But if you choose not to cease hurting others, or violating my property rights, I will force you to leave.  I will not tolerate thugs. 

RD

So you've laid down the law then.  How will you enforce your laws?   :)

Kat Kanning

Merged the two topics and took out the repeated post.

David

While you were merging it I tried to post the following and received an error message telling me this topic is off limits to me.   ;D 
Quote from: RD on December 13, 2007, 07:42 PM NHFT
Peacefully if possible, I will force them if needed.  I would ask help if needed, would you help me, if I needed it?   ;)
The 'law' is simply asking others to not hurt others.  Most people agree that that is a good way to do things.  I anticipate a relatively high level of support. 

RD

Quote from: David on December 13, 2007, 08:03 PM NHFT
While you were merging it I tried to post the following and received an error message telling me this topic is off limits to me.   ;D 
Quote from: RD on December 13, 2007, 07:42 PM NHFT
Peacefully if possible, I will force them if needed.  I would ask help if needed, would you help me, if I needed it?   ;)

Yes, of course.

What about in the case of a snow storm such as this night in southern NH?  After hours of clearing your Right of Way, will you still allow others to pass for free?  Or will you charge them a toll to pay for your work done in clearing the passage for them?

David

No.  I intend to sub rent or sell the land on both sides.  That is the purpose of providing an inviting place to travel through in the first place. 
My other big reason is that I do like some freedom of movement, but at the same time I want to strengthen the rights regarding private property (something anarchists are sometimes all too ready to violate).  It would be great if I make money off of it while I am doing it.  I think the best way to do this is by leading by example.  It is all too easy to tell others how they should do it. 
By providing a set of guarantees, I provide a level of predictability that others can use when deciding whether or not to invest in my properties.  It also gives me a sort of moral high ground to ask others to join in in providing freedom to travel, yet still be able to keep the violent folks and the crooks out by maintaining property rights. 

John Edward Mercier

RD,

Hit the major issue on the head. Many builders develop roads within their projects. It is the cost of upkeep and the perpetuity of ownership that causes the problem. Once they realize those costs, and the original model did not account for them. They ask the local municipality to 'accept' the road as a public road.

David

that is what happened to the road I grew up on.   :P 
Zoning, prolly has something to do with the profitability of roads. 
If you look in any place that still has a shred of its original downtown, what i am suggesting is similar.  Those roads were usually built and maintained by municipal gov'ts before the feds and their inflationary money got into the business of road building. 
I'm not trying to convince anyone that private roads are better, (although they are moral as I will not be stealing money or land to build it), this is how I will be doing it.  (once I get the money for the land  ;)  ).  Ultimately I am more concerned about providing right of way and still maintaining property rights.  I believe the best way to do that is lead by example.  The condition of the road means less to me initially than the fact that it is there.  I'll pave it when it becomes profitable to do so. 

Lex

If you aren't charging tolls, how are you going to pay for this road?

David

By either renting or selling the land off on the sides of the road.  Renting would give me a steady income.  Or I could build and rent as stores, business' etc.  The road wouldn't make me money anymore than a hallway in an office or a bathroom at a burger joint makes them money.  It is a means to an end.  In offices the rental is based on sq. footage of the office itself, the hall is loss investment to the building owner.  Many will not go to a burger place with no bathroom, or even a dirty one, yet by itself makes no money.  The road is just a means to an end. 

Lex

Quote from: David on December 14, 2007, 09:05 AM NHFT
By either renting or selling the land off on the sides of the road.  Renting would give me a steady income.  Or I could build and rent as stores, business' etc.  The road wouldn't make me money anymore than a hallway in an office or a bathroom at a burger joint makes them money.  It is a means to an end.  In offices the rental is based on sq. footage of the office itself, the hall is loss investment to the building owner.  Many will not go to a burger place with no bathroom, or even a dirty one, yet by itself makes no money.  The road is just a means to an end. 

This kind of setup is already done at shopping plazas, etc. I'm not sure how this is relevent to "Nuts and bolts of Anarchy".

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea and we definitely need MORE of these kinds of setups.

David

Exactly Lex.  I don't want to reinvent the wheel.  Malls are a terrific parrallel to my efforts. 
I consider it a nuts and bolts issue because it is such a contentious issue, that of freedom of movement, that I felt the need to address it.  Freedom of movement was why Ethan Allen was a Georgist.  It is the reason most minarchists like private property in principle, but in practice are very worried about a scenario in which land becomes a patchwork quilt of no go zones. 
The Promises and guarantees in my original post were central to my labeling it a nut and bolt issue. 

John Edward Mercier

This kind of setup is what's done now.
Municipal roads are paid through the value portion of registration and property taxes. When my land is assessed... access/frontage is one of the criteria. Much the same as what's done in the mall. Since our State was avoiding statewide property taxes during the highway system development... they used a consumption tax based on gasoline to roughly estimate road usage/wear rates.

The Federal Gas Tax was enacted for the interstate... for several years it was overfunded, and rather than save the money for future price shocks (or lower the tax to what is necessary)... largely began to be used on other items. Most bikepaths are built using these dollars.