• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

SICK!!!! Ugh!

Started by Caleb, March 25, 2008, 08:54 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb

yeah, I'm doing quite a bit better. my computer has crashed, though, and so my mood isn't really doing too good. I spent all this money buying everything I needed for a great new system, put the thing together, and now when I go to plug everything in to get everything going, my monitor doesn't have a connection that fits to my new computer. I guess its too old. So... I'm going to have to buy a new monitor. Until I can afford that, I'm stuck using this laptop.  And I still don't know whether all my old data is recoverable.

Kat Kanning

Yuck, sorry to hear that.

Pat K

Quote from: Caleb on March 29, 2008, 06:14 PM NHFT
yeah, I'm doing quite a bit better. my computer has crashed, though, and so my mood isn't really doing too good. I spent all this money buying everything I needed for a great new system, put the thing together, and now when I go to plug everything in to get everything going, my monitor doesn't have a connection that fits to my new computer. I guess its too old. So... I'm going to have to buy a new monitor. Until I can afford that, I'm stuck using this laptop.  And I still don't know whether all my old data is recoverable.

They have adapters for the moniter connection problem Caleb,
but if your moniter is old, get a nice new big screen one.
They have really come down in price and the moniter is
in the end ,the most important part of the system for use.

Caleb

I'm sure you are theoretically right that "they" have connectors. But who are "they"? Because no one I talked to had them. I need to go from a vga connector to a dvi connector.

I ended up finding a 17" widescreen flatscreen monitor for $123, so I snapped it up. I'm just sitting here waiting for Kubuntu to finish downloading so I can get the desktop back up and running. It's going to be wonderful. I'm sure for some people my computer will seem ancient, but it's just about the most top of the line computer I've ever owned, and I'm proud of myself for putting it all together myself. It was kinda fun.

mackler

Quote from: Ron Helwig on March 29, 2008, 09:44 AM NHFT
Quote from: mackler on March 29, 2008, 02:48 AM NHFT
Organic veggies have a many-thousand year track record
The big difference is that now we have the scientific knowledge to manipulate the genes in much more targeted ways, instead of the old scattershot "hope it does something good" methods. Some people are afraid of the ability to manipulate genes scientifically. The same types of people were afraid of machines that could weave cloth. Luddites.

Before you bother reading up on "food science" you really should read up on genetic engineering. Then you might have a clue as to what is BS or not in the food science lit.

Yeah, that's what Marie Curie said about the Luddites who suggested that her amazing new radioactive discoveries might be dangerous.  Just because there's a cool new technology doesn't mean putting it in your mouth is a good idea.

Anyway, i'm not afraid of the ability to manipulate genes--scientifically or otherwise.  All I'm saying is that considering that there is no scientific proof that GMO foods are won't cause chronic health problems, when I go to the juice bar because I'm sick and I want to get better, I'm going to be drinking the organic juice.  I believe in freedom of faith, and if you have such faith in your genetic engineers that you'll eat their work product, I'm not going to burn down your textile mill.

Pat K

Quote from: Caleb on March 29, 2008, 10:32 PM NHFT
I'm sure you are theoretically right that "they" have connectors. But who are "they"? Because no one I talked to had them. I need to go from a vga connector to a dvi connector.

I ended up finding a 17" widescreen flatscreen monitor for $123, so I snapped it up. I'm just sitting here waiting for Kubuntu to finish downloading so I can get the desktop back up and running. It's going to be wonderful. I'm sure for some people my computer will seem ancient, but it's just about the most top of the line computer I've ever owned, and I'm proud of myself for putting it all together myself. It was kinda fun.

;D 8)

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Caleb on March 29, 2008, 10:32 PM NHFT

:clapping:

Beth221

Caleb,
did you get all your data back?  (time to pimp out dan again) I am dating this dude who is great at finding missing data, and he is very kubuntu friendly!