• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Mexican Food (Sonoran Hot Dogs)?

Started by Dylboz, April 24, 2008, 11:20 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Quote from: David on April 26, 2008, 09:22 AM NHFT
The Keene Buffet has a small sushi buffet.  Sorry, I don't do raw fish, so I cannot give you a thumbs up or down.  Keene Buffet in general definitely gets a thumbs up in general. 

I'm not a big sushi fan myself, but the best sushi I ever had was at a buffet in Atlanta. I really enjoyed it.

Kat Kanning

Dylboz

Say a guy lives in Keene. How long a drive to say, Boston? I'm just thinking, like here, in Tucson, people will drive the hour or so up to Phoenix for concerts or in the old days, better shopping, though now we are knee deep in high-end retail, and also, food of a caliber and sophistication you really can't always get here. If I were just dying for some serious sushi, like the exotic stuff no buffett is gonna have, like Uni (sea urchin reproductive organs) or Masago (smelt roe) with raw quail eggs on top, could I reasonably drive to a city large enough and close enough to the sea (I imagine that includes the whole state, I mean, they fly fish into Tucson and Phoenix... actually, the Maguro (tuna) sushi everyone eats often flies from L.A. to Tokyo and back again before it gets served) to satiate this desire? What about my dirty secret... I'm a bit of a Parrothead, and I have seen Jimmy Buffett play in Phoenix, but he doesn't always make it out this far, or sometimes Vegas is the closest show, but I know he has a soft spot for Boston, so he plays there every year, sometimes more than once. I think he actually lives in New England now, at least part time. How far away is it and is the drive arduous or are there interstate highways to drive?

OK, and now that I'm on the driving thing, I'm off to start another thread...

Caleb

Quote from: The Right Reverend Doctor Pope Sir Ryan on April 25, 2008, 01:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 25, 2008, 11:11 AM NHFT
La Carreta has real mexicans working at it!

You sure it's not Puerto Ricans or something?

Last I checked most of them at La Carreta were Colombian, which suited me just fine because I have a hard enough time understanding Spanish without all the funky things Mexicans do to butcher it. Colombian Spanish is beautiful and elegant.

kola

Caleb

Shakira is Colombian. I'll let you be the judge.  :)

kola

kola

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kat Kanning on April 26, 2008, 07:25 AM NHFT
Keene is a pretty small place.  There's a weenie thai restaurant, but not much that's 'exotic'.

Wow, Kat I just noticed your avatar is slightly different, I like it! :D

alohamonkey

I'm a huge fan of La Carreta in Manchester.  Some of the best Mexican food I've ever had.  India Palace in Manchester is some of the best Indian food I've ever had.  Manch also offers good Nepalese food, Cafe Momo, and Korean food, the Korean Place.  Thousand Crane in Manchester offers decent sushi but to get the really good stuff you have to head down to Boston.  I just drove down to an awesome sushi place in Boston on Friday, Fugakyu . . . phenomenal. 

David

I haven't actually driven it, but I'd estimate it to be about 2 hours from Keene to Boston.   :-\

Kat Kanning

KBCraig

Quote from: Dylboz on April 24, 2008, 11:20 PM NHFT
And the one thing that I'll really miss about the Sonora border is, the Mexican hot dog. This, for you New Englanders, is a hot dog wrapped in bacon and grilled, served in a Mexican sweet roll, with mayo, mustard, salsa, ranch style beans and chopped onions. Oh... My... God! Best ever!

Bacon dogs in LA:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hqgYNDGB6ds

FTL_Ian

Keene's La Carreta just won Silver in the "Best of Monadnock" for Best Ethnic and Best New Restaurant

I'm definitely looking for an excuse to go...

kola

nice clip KB.

it is good to see the goonsquads are "risking their lives" to "keep us safe."  ::)

is that BaconDog Patrol from precinct 13?

kola