• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Advice needed: replacement laptop hard disk

Started by KBCraig, April 28, 2008, 12:08 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

The HDD in Mary's laptop just crapped out. Done, toast, kaput, "no IDE device found", dead.

It's an easy replacement, but I've never bought one before and appreciate any suggestions. We don't need a lot of drive space because it's only used for internet stuff, so 120GB is fine. 5400/7200 doesn't really matter.

The dead drive is a Seagate Momentus 5400.2, 80GB. Looking at Best Buy (which I figure is about my most expensive option), I see a WD Caviar 160GB, which would cost me about $100 with tax at my local store.

Thanks for any suggestions on a cheap reliable drive.

Caleb

I don't really know.  ;D  But something similar to me happened on my desktop recently, and I lost all my data. So my suggestion would be to also buy a good external hard drive and back up frequently.

FTL_Ian

K. Darien Freeheart

I second Ian's recommendation. NewEgg + UPS has blown me away. Shortest order time ever, 18 hours from placement to delivery.

Longest order fulfilment 3 business days. Prices are almost always the best around and they've got a good warranty on their items.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Kevin Dean on April 28, 2008, 01:45 PM NHFT
I second Ian's recommendation. NewEgg + UPS has blown me away. Shortest order time ever, 18 hours from placement to delivery.

Longest order fulfilment 3 business days. Prices are almost always the best around and they've got a good warranty on their items.

I like their user reviews...very handy.

Puke

error

Are you sure it's the drive and not the controller? If the IDE controller on your laptop's motherboard has fried, you would get the same error (and the hard drive would be fine).

KBCraig

I haven't checked that. I don't have a second drive handy to plug in, nor another computer that I can plug this drive into, which would be the best test.

I might pay the Geek Squad to test the drive before I order a new one.

J’raxis 270145

Remember that such technicians are legally obligated to report anything illegal they find on the drive.