• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Inconvenient Truths: Get Ready to Rethink What It Means to Be Green

Started by Puke, May 31, 2008, 06:26 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Puke

I found this to be a rather intelligent and rational article.
Still a lot of rhetoric about "Global Warming", but it's better than most enviro-nazi crap.

Wired Magazine

Nathan.Halcyon

QuoteWe can afford to ignore neither the carbon-free electricity supplied by nuclear energy nor the transformational potential of genetic engineering, nor the necessity of getting ourselves the hell of this rock.
The latter, not included but far more sensible than tinkering with genetics and juggling atoms.

K. Darien Freeheart

I was blown away by that article, and considered even calling in to FTL about it. :S

There's several examples of how the free market would have already been posing solutions to those problems rather than causing them. The bit about old trees being polluters and young trees being beneficial... Awesome.

Puke

Quote from: Kevin Dean on May 31, 2008, 09:59 AM NHFT
There's several examples of how the free market would have already been posing solutions to those problems rather than causing them. The bit about old trees being polluters and young trees being beneficial... Awesome.

Yeah, I liked that one as well.
A perfect example of how gov't crap like Nat. Forests are just ignored tinder boxes going to waste.

error

Quote from: Puke on May 31, 2008, 10:45 AM NHFT
A perfect example of how gov't crap like Nat. Forests are just ignored tinder boxes going to waste.

Down here where I am, the USFS let a prescribed burn go out of control for three days, escaping far out of the burn area and threatening A.T. hikers, before they did anything. They apparently had no idea the fire had continued to burn after the first day.

Puke

Wow. It really amazes me that people still think gov't folks are smart.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Puke on May 31, 2008, 02:06 PM NHFT

Do they?

"Good enough for government work" used to be praise—during WWII, it meant a piece of equipment was of such high quality it'd pass muster for use in the war. Nowadays, "good enough for government work" means the opposite.

I think most people just resign themselves to putting up with the government, and at most, they think it's "better than the alternative" ::) of no government.

K. Darien Freeheart

I'm not sure, I think the vast majority simply can't comprehend no government. I mean absolutely can't fathom the concept, even as they spout off the driven that the government told them in school. That's perhaps the weirdest thing, requiring a constant litany of doublethink: Without government, there would be chaos. Government is eternal and always exists. They fear anarchy and can't even ride that train of thought.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Kevin Dean on June 02, 2008, 03:31 PM NHFT
I'm not sure, I think the vast majority simply can't comprehend no government. I mean absolutely can't fathom the concept, even as they spout off the driven that the government told them in school. That's perhaps the weirdest thing, requiring a constant litany of doublethink: Without government, there would be chaos. Government is eternal and always exists. They fear anarchy and can't even ride that train of thought.

The system keeps people children psychologically. Could a five-year-old comprehend existence without his mother?

Puke

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on June 02, 2008, 02:55 PM NHFT

Do they?

Yes. I've had many a conversation where someone states that politicians are smart people.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Puke on June 02, 2008, 04:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on June 02, 2008, 02:55 PM NHFT

Do they?

Yes. I've had many a conversation where someone states that politicians are smart people.

Politicians tend to be. They need to be shrewd in order to become politicians.

The rest of the government folks like error was talking about—bureaucrats, functionaries, and the like—not so much. Most of those bureaucracies originated as jobs projects for the unemployable (e.g., during the Depression) anyway.

K. Darien Freeheart

Quote from: j'raxisPoliticians tend to be. They need to be shrewd in order to become politicians.

The rest of the government folks

The average folk, who doesn't recognize the government as "legitimized" use of force thinks that politicians and government are the same thing. There's a disconnect between the "!@#$ DMV's dumb assed slowness" and "the government. Most people would say that Bush represents "the government" rather than the rude guy from the DOT that flips you the bird as you're driving by.

Puke

If by smart you mean manipulative, self-serving, and evil, then I guess they are smart.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Puke on June 02, 2008, 05:59 PM NHFT
If by smart you mean manipulative, self-serving, and evil, then I guess they are smart.

Smart doesn't always have to be a compliment or praise.

/You know who else was smart?
//He got an awful lot of Germans to do his bidding once...