• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Religulous [CAUTION: could offend]

Started by Puke, June 08, 2008, 08:44 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ByronB

Quote from: Vitruvian on June 26, 2008, 07:36 AM NHFT
Quote from: ByronB on June 26, 2008, 04:19 AM NHFTall you die-hard atheists should take note, most all religious folks I know already are borderline libertarians, it seems silly that some would try to drive them away...

I'll concede that, between religion and the state, the state is by far the more destructive.  However, this renders religion merely the lesser of two evils.

And I'll concede that religion does have quite the potential to be destructive, I've seen plenty of good examples of that, but just like the article (sort of) pointed out you could argue the same for atheists. I think it comes down to the individuals themselves, whether or not they can think independently instead of letting some leader decide their beliefs (and therefore actions) for them, so to expand on that, there are some statist type religious people who think it is their duty to personally eradicate all "evil" from the world and there are some libertarian religious people who think that all "sins" are between you and God and none of their business at all, I don't see why any libertarians should feel threatened by the latter group.

Vitruvian

Quote from: ByronB on June 26, 2008, 01:33 PM NHFTI think it comes down to the individuals themselves, whether or not they can think independently instead of letting some leader decide their beliefs (and therefore actions) for them, so to expand on that, there are some statist type religious people who think it is their duty to personally eradicate all "evil" from the world and there are some libertarian religious people who think that all "sins" are between you and God and none of their business at all, I don't see why any libertarians should feel threatened by the latter group.

I agree, with one qualification: my opposition to religion has nothing to do with libertarian philosophy.  I do not feel threatened by Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc., qua religious people, but I do consider such belief systems to be a significant obstacle to the survival and progression of the human species.

ByronB

Quote from: Vitruvian on June 26, 2008, 05:49 PM NHFT
Quote from: ByronB on June 26, 2008, 01:33 PM NHFTI think it comes down to the individuals themselves, whether or not they can think independently instead of letting some leader decide their beliefs (and therefore actions) for them, so to expand on that, there are some statist type religious people who think it is their duty to personally eradicate all "evil" from the world and there are some libertarian religious people who think that all "sins" are between you and God and none of their business at all, I don't see why any libertarians should feel threatened by the latter group.

I agree, with one qualification: my opposition to religion has nothing to do with libertarian philosophy.  I do not feel threatened by Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc., qua religious people, but I do consider such belief systems to be a significant obstacle to the survival and progression of the human species.

Maybe, if such religious people refuse to learn anything new and remain steadfastly arrogant of any new understandings of the world... however in my experience these people are the minority, the vocal minority that is.

On a side note, google "the flat earth society" it is a great example of just pure arrogance, just please don't use that as more evidence of how backward religious people are.

grasshopper

I know the Christ like religion went through a reformation, I hope the "religion of peace" does so soon.  You know, we are supposed to "love one an other".  If we all did this, the world would ba freaking awsome!

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Vitruvian on June 26, 2008, 07:36 AM NHFT
Quote from: ByronB on June 26, 2008, 04:19 AM NHFTall you die-hard atheists should take note, most all religious folks I know already are borderline libertarians, it seems silly that some would try to drive them away...

I'll concede that, between religion and the state, the state is by far the more destructive.  However, this renders religion merely the lesser of two evils.

Don't forget that they used to be the same thing, and in many places still are.

Sam A. Robrin

[/quote]

Don't forget that they used to be the same thing, and in many places still are.
[/quote]

True, we're not finished with antidisestablishmentarianism yet . . .

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on July 02, 2008, 05:48 PM NHFT
True, we're not finished with antidisestablishmentarianism yet . . .

Antidisestablishmentarianism is the philosophy of opposing separation of Church and State.

By the way, you keep chopping off the [quote author=...] stuff at the beginning of posts, so the markup comes out all screwy.

Pat K

ByronB

I just watched this movie tonight... real funny stuff, I enjoyed it.

It is kind of offensive to religious (obviously) but I thought most of the humor was in fairly good taste.

Most of the movie was interviews with different figureheads such as Francis Collins, some Puerto Rican guy who thinks he is Jesus, and a really funny old catholic bishop (or some title like that).