• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Advice on protesting police checkpoint next week

Started by DavidHenry, October 22, 2008, 06:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidHenry

I was referred to this forum by a man named Bill St. Clair.  He suggested I might get some advice regarding warning motorists about checkpoints.

I live in North Carolina and passed through a police checkpoint for the first time in my life.  My wife and I were quite taken aback by the experience and now have decided to take some action.

North Carolina conducts its checkpoints over the holidays under the statewide slogan BOOZE IT AND LOSE IT.  The next checkpoint is scheduled October 30-November 2.  My wife and I have made signs that read "Police Checkpoint Ahead."  We plan to warn motorists before the checkpoint so that they either have time to turn around or at least know what is coming.  We have help from two friends and would like to get at least a couple more participants.

I contacted the ACLU to get some advice and I have explored legal issues.  I got some advice from a group in Colorado called Checkpoints Violate Your Rights (they are also sending me flyers).  I think I am covered, but would still like to get some input from anyone who has experience with checkpoints.  Has anyone ever ran into the unexpected?  Would the police make you disperse if you were in a group of four or more on the sidewalk?  Might an inexperienced officer try to claim interference with police business, even if you were 1/4 mile away from the actual checkpoint?   If you were standing in the gravel area at the side of a country road, might the police claim you are a traffic hazard?

The above are a few examples.  I would appreciate advice on these examples or any others with which you have experience.  Thank you.

David Henry

TackleTheWorld

Welcome, David Henry

I brought the "Checkpoint ahead" sign to a sobriety roadblock in Manchester, NH about a year ago.  The police left our group of four and our sign alone.  At another roadblock at the same location a few months later, the same thing happened.

Hopefully you have a similar reception.  But realistically, look at what you are doing - you are confronting the police, at night,on their territory, for overstepping their authority.  What's to stop them from further exercising their authority over a group of (in their eyes) ungrateful troublemakers?  Nothing.  I have personal experience in being arrested for disobeying a police officer, even though I was hurting no one, breaking nothing, blocking nowhere, and telling the truth.

Free libertarian

It might be a good idea to have someone(s) take a video (with audio).  Good luck and thank you. 

Jim Johnson

Everyone should have a VDO camera.
Do not engage the authorities by answering their questions... except for your name and the town you live in.  Not answering their questions is far better than giving a misleading, vague or smart ass answers

Am I under arrest?  Am I free to go?  I am ....   I live in ....

If this is your first time engaging bureaucrats, only stay as long as you can fell comfortable.  The more you engage them the closer you will come to knowing where their line of arrest is.
Be polite but insistent, you have the right to assemble and the right to speech.

You are a concerned individual, they can not order an individual to disperse.

If you are approached and you do not wish to talk, turn and walk away.
Their purpose, if you are not breaking the law, is to goat you into an arrestable situation.

Jitgos

I happened across a seat belt checkpoint a couple years ago. I went to the nearest drug store and bought a big piece of cardboard, a marker, and a shoestring. I was afraid that writing "Checkpoint Ahead" might violate some law so I just wrote "Buckle Your Seat Belt" or something similar, tied the sign around my neck, and walked back and forth about a half mile away warning people until the cops left. I figured if they arrested me for holding a sign saying Buckle Your Seat Belt I could claim it was just an innocent public service/safety message.

I wasn't harassed, but I hid the sign behind my back every time the cops drove by. They probably knew I was there, but because I was by myself with no camera I didn't want any confrontation. It was great getting thumbs up, honks, and seeing many people buckle up and knowing they were just saved a ticket.

Good luck!

les nessman

Be sure to beg or borrow a CB radio if its on a major road to warn the truck drivers.  The last time I was driving up to NH
I noticed that all the truck traffic suddenly disappeared, and having driven many miles, knew that wasnt a good sign and
stopped at the first place available which turned out to be a rest area.  I got there just in time, because a large white out
occured very quickly and visibility was so low I couldnt see the front of my car.

Checkpoints are what first motivated me to start carrying a videocamera.  The first checkpoint I went through in a nearby small town reminded me of something I read out of the Soviet Union.  They had searchlights, barking dogs, etc.  I ran home and at the time had press credentials and started videotaping, and when they realized who I was and what I was doing they shut the checkpoint down.  It turns out they were given
a grant, and one of the terms was a "financial responsibilty" checkpoint had to be completed to receive the funds.  So I would start by finding out WHO is funding the checkpoint.  If its just the local police you should mention the checkpoints the next time they ask for budget increases.  >:D

J’raxis 270145

DavidHenry

I should have known to go first to the LIVE FREE OR DIE state.  I really salute all of you.  There is an organization in Colorado called Checkpoints Violate Your Rights.  I telelphoned Jerry Begley a few times and he was going to send me their literature.  I still have not heard from him.

I was also thinking about calling the media because it should be a story out here.  We have a good video camera and it should be posted on an active web site.  Does anyone ever call the media or post a video?

Tackle the World,

I did not plan on doing this at night, at least not this first time.  Can you tell me where you got your materials that illuminate at night?  How about a sign store?

Hubbard

I was thinking as an idea for one up here we could make up signs with arrows that say WARNING: GOVERNMENT CHECKPOINT AHEAD - DETOUR. And have arrows pointing around the point.

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: DavidHenry on October 25, 2008, 11:10 PM NHFT
Tackle the World,

I did not plan on doing this at night, at least not this first time.  Can you tell me where you got your materials that illuminate at night?  How about a sign store?

My sign was 8' tall made out of 2X2s and tyvek house wrap, painted with spray cans.  I expected to have to leave it behind so made it cheap. 

This roadblock was on a well-lighted downtown street so didn't add illumination.

Russell Kanning

DavidHenry

I looked for a checkpoint today, but could not find one.  I had only part of the day however, because I worked in the morning and early afternoon.  I am going out in the morning and hopefully I can put one checkpoint out of business.