• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Looking for Position to Take Advantage of My Skills

Started by CyricVT, March 19, 2007, 10:44 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CyricVT

Hello all,

After years of following the FSP, I signed the Statement of Intent three weeks ago after attending the Liberty Forum.  I'm looking to move sometime in the next 6 months to 2 years depending on when I can find a job.  I'm considering living in the following areas:  Manchester, Concord, Portsmouth, and Keene.  I don't know a whole lot about the towns surrounding them and I want to consider them as well.  Ultimately, I'd like to be within an hour of Concord and Manchester and an hour to an hour and a half from Boston (if possible, though not a deal-breaker).  I am beginning my job search as well, but I was wondering if you could give me some pointers or know of anyone who is hiring and friendly to the FSP.

A little bit about me:  I'm 28 years old and graduated from Virginia Tech with a bachelors in history and a minor in Classical Studies.  I've worked the last two and a half years as a technical training coordinator for Nissan North America.  It's technically a permatemp job, but I've coordinated the technical training for dealership technicians for half the country on a daily basis.  I'm excellent when it comes to organization, reliable, and know how to keep a large organization running efficiently.  I also have excellent writing and research skills.  In addition to my  day job, I co-founded the Libertarians at Virginia Tech and served as the group's first vice president and second president.  I then chaired the Libertarian Party of Fairfax County and helped turn around what was at that time a floundering affiliate and also the largest in the state.  I was instrumental in rallying state party members against significant opposition to combine dying LP affiliates into the organization and create a new Libertarian Party of Northern Virginia.  Finally, I spent the last year serving as campaign manager (and half the other positions as well) for Wilbur Wood for Congress.  Since then I've burned out and was on the verge of giving up on politics completely before deciding to give the FSP another look.

As for a job, I'm looking for something that pays around $35,000 to $40,000 a year with benefits.  I'm flexible in the type of job as long as it meets those requirements.  I have a significant amount of debt from when I was younger and need to be able to afford to pay it down, pay rent in NH, pay rent for a few months here to avoid screwing over roommates, and cover moving costs.  I'd prefer to work in New Hampshire rather than Massachusetts.  I've pasted my resume in case anyone can help.

I can be reached at cyricvt at vt dot edu

Objective   To obtain a position in which I can best take advantage of my skills in organization, leadership, research, and my ability to work well with others.
Education   Bachelor of Arts, History, May 2004
Minor: Classical Studies
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech)
Blacksburg, VA
Skills   ? Managing a congressional campaign
? Chairing local and college political organizations
? Organizing outreach events for political organizations
? Writing and researching term papers and opinion pieces
? Assisting customers in resolving problems and answering questions about business services
? Extensive use and experience installing and troubleshooting Windows XP and older versions, Mac OS X and earlier, and other operating systems.
? Extensive experience with Microsoft Office on both platforms and with all major Internet applications
? Two years experience using Microsoft Visual FoxPro for document analysis

Interests and Activities   Interests:
? Computers; Internet; History; Politics and Political Activism
School Activities:
? President, Vice President, and founding member Libertarians at Virginia Tech
? Writing for the Collegiate Times op-ed page at Virginia Tech

Work Experience   2004-Present
Nissan North America
Sterling, VA
Technical Training Scheduler

2001-2003; 2004-
Randstad
Fairfax, VA
Temporary Worker

error

You may want to make more money than that. The cost of living up here is a bit higher than it is in Virginia, even NOVA.

Russell Kanning

Keene is farther away from Manchester and Boston than you mentioned. It's a feature.

CyricVT

Quote from: error on March 20, 2007, 02:30 AM NHFT
You may want to make more money than that. The cost of living up here is a bit higher than it is in Virginia, even NOVA.

Hi error, the $35k is the absolute minimum I would need to make if I moved right now.  I'd be looking for anything from there up.  My understanding from my research is that the cost of living up there is slightly less (though not dramatically less) thatn NOVA.  Thanks for the advice.  I read that you just moved.  Where were you moving from?

CyricVT

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 20, 2007, 05:50 AM NHFT
Keene is farther away from Manchester and Boston than you mentioned. It's a feature.

I am definitely open to Keene.  I liked everywhere I listed in my original email.  My biggest concerns would be whether I could find a job that met my needs there.