• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

House taxes/ city taxes, whatever!

Started by Raineyrocks, January 01, 2009, 03:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

This is the 2nd time this year that our mortgage has gone up because of stupid tax hikes and escrow shortages due to the tax hikes.  The first time I paid the escrow shortage and our mortgage price stayed the same, this time they want even more for the escrow shortage and our mortgage would still go up.  ::)

I really don't know what to do or what can be done, does anyone?   We've been wanting to move but that doesn't mean it's not going to happen somewhere else unless there is somewhere in New Hampshire where city taxes are lower?

Also just because we want to move doesn't mean we are going to get the price we need to put down on another house & pay this mortgage off or even sell the house.  Does anyone have any creative suggestions?  :-\

John Edward Mercier

Are you in a city or a town?
They have different forms of local government.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on January 01, 2009, 02:44 PM NHFT
Are you in a city or a town?
They have different forms of local government.

It's a town.

John Edward Mercier

Town budgets get voted on by the residents...
So you may find a local taxpayers association.

It won't be quick by any means... but if you like the home it may be worth the fight. And the continuing increases take not only current income, but can devalue the home taking capital.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on January 02, 2009, 01:39 PM NHFT
Town budgets get voted on by the residents...
So you may find a local taxpayers association.

It won't be quick by any means... but if you like the home it may be worth the fight. And the continuing increases take not only current income, but can devalue the home taking capital.

Thanks!  :)   I like the house but we want to move closer down towards a city however I doubt the house will sell anytime soon and we have cut our budget so much, if they keep raising the mortgage we are going to be in over our heads. 

What is the first step that I should take?  I suppose google local taxpayers association for Campton, then do I call them and complain?

I'm not sure what you mean in your last sentence, can you explain it so I can understand it?

Thanks again!  :D

John Edward Mercier

You would join the taxpayers association. In towns, the residents vote on the budget which is the factor that creates the taxes. In many town meetings, those that want something tend to show up in force... so the budget goes up and the taxes. The taxpayer association should be working against this...

They might also work to expand the tax base. This is the value of taxable property and usually to expand it, they work to get municipal owned parcels sold off... and businesses to locate in the town.

For the last sentence.
What your feeling is what a buyer for your home would feel.
The  taxes and insurance would limit the size of the mortgage they could afford. The mortgage directly relates to the price (value of the home) someone can afford.
So higher taxes generally mean a lower home value.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on January 02, 2009, 02:34 PM NHFT
You would join the taxpayers association. In towns, the residents vote on the budget which is the factor that creates the taxes. In many town meetings, those that want something tend to show up in force... so the budget goes up and the taxes. The taxpayer association should be working against this...

They might also work to expand the tax base. This is the value of taxable property and usually to expand it, they work to get municipal owned parcels sold off... and businesses to locate in the town.

For the last sentence.
What your feeling is what a buyer for your home would feel.
The  taxes and insurance would limit the size of the mortgage they could afford. The mortgage directly relates to the price (value of the home) someone can afford.
So higher taxes generally mean a lower home value.

Okay, thanks!   Does that mean that the majority of people at the meetings are intentionally voting to raise property taxes?

John Edward Mercier

Most people that take the time to go to town meetings are usually seeking a benefit that increases taxation. Sometimes its indirect.