• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

License plate oreientation?

Started by doobie, July 16, 2009, 03:31 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

doobie

I was wondering if there is a 'lawful oreientation' for license plates?  If not (or if so) a good act of CD for those who have paid the extortion fees for their Rights to Travel could turn them upside down.

thinkliberty

I think it would be ok:
http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=15440

(the state has had a problem in the past paying people when they violate people's civil rights, see link for details)

MTPorcupine3

Funny you should ask. I was just going to post a copy of a post from http://thinkfreeforums.org on the subject of an alternative to a licence plate. Here it is below:
--------------------------

Hey all... just got back from a weekend of camping in CANADA. Had a great time.

This is what I chose to make my tags look like: (same except a different number)
[see below]

The "S" is for Sovereign, the "EXEMPT" means, "exempt from levy" (the US border guard knew what that meant, more on that later)

When I crossed the border on the way up it went like this: I got a snippy female who I have gotten a few times before. Real good looking but nasty attitude. My guess is she hates men, and since I happen to be one...

Her: "What state are those plates from?"
Me: "They're not from any state, ma'am. They're from the US. That's my federal DOT authority number."
Her: "Where did you get them?"
Me: "I got the number from the US Department of Transportation, and I had the plates made privately."
Her: Uh huh. (looking very doubtful)
Me: Just look me up in the SAFER database on the FMCSA.gov website, and you'll see that number jibes with the name on my passport.
Her: "Who gets these plates?" (she's assuming it's some kind of privilege, i guess)
Me: Um, I don't really understand the question, ma'am.
Her: Can anyone get them?
Me: Yes.
Her: Why do you have them? (looking doubtful again)
Me: I have been studying the law and the legal system for several months now, and I have learned that the statutes that require the use of State-issued license plates only apply to persons traveling in commerce. (goes right over her head, but I'm planning for that)
Her: huh?
Me: For example, If I were hauling goods for someone or otherwise making money by driving, I would put the state plates back on. I still have them, but if I want to be truthful, I can't use them because they only apply to vehicles being used in commerce.
Her: (hands me my passport) have a nice day. (She's pulling a Schultz, "I see NOTHING!" I can still see the wheels spinning in her head - hee hee!)

On the way home it was more interesting. First thing out of the border guard's mouth was "What's this "exempt" on your license plate mean?"
Me: It means this automobile is private property and "exempt from levy".
Him: So you don't have to pay taxes on this vehicle?
Me: Not unless I'm operating in commerce.
Him: are you an attorney?
Me: I'm studying to be an attorney IN law, not AT law.
Him: (smirks, i guess he knows the difference) Uhh, pull into garage door one and we're gonna inspect your vehicle.
Me: All right.

Next there was a group of border guards congregating in the garage around my car (understandably, this is the first any of them had seen of a "united states" plate)
I step out, empty my pockets on the counter, blah blah. (i shortened this part and compressed it a bit, but the essential is there)

Guard 1: so what's with this 'exempt' on your plate? (no one asked about the 's', which means "sovereign')
Me: same answer as original guy
Guard 1: How did you get these plates?
Me: The USDOT issued me this number and i had the plates made privately. These plates were not "issued" to me.
Guard 1: Why are you using these?
Me: I want to operate in the truth, as much as is possible, with all who are around me. Since I am not operating in commerce, which is defined as "buying and selling", I would be perjuring myself to keep state-issued plates on my conveyance, as any court which might issue a fine for an infraction of the statute demanding I use their plate, is operating under the Uniform Commercial Code, which governs commerce, not private activity. Since I am engaged in private activity, I use this DOT authority number on this plate only as a means of keeping the staties and the locals off my tail. Since in all actuality, I don't need ANY plate on my car to travel privately.
Guard 2: How often do you get pulled over with these plates?
Me: I've only had them on a week. This is the first time. (all laugh)
Guard 1: Well, we're not really pulling you over.
Me: yeah, I know, just kidding.

By this time they are done with my inspection.

As I get in the car I say, "You can be sure this will not be the last of these plates you see."
As I leave, Guard 2 says "keep fighting the fight, man".

I was amazed. I was not one bit afraid or inclined to be arrogant with these people. I could see the truth. They are human beings just like me, and they don't like all the government control any more than I do.

We are winning.

Tom Sawyer

I don't get the not being commercial so I don't need the state license and then getting a DOT number which means you are commercial.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: doobie on July 16, 2009, 03:31 PM NHFT
I was wondering if there is a 'lawful oreientation' for license plates?  If not (or if so) a good act of CD for those who have paid the extortion fees for their Rights to Travel could turn them upside down.

I can't find anything in the RSAs about it, but it does need to be right-side up during vehicle inspections or they'll fail it. I remember seeing that in the inspection rules.

jeremy2141

I have a state inspection license, and yes, for inspection purposes, the plates are required to be right side up for inspection purposes.  I don't care what you do with the plate after I put a sticker on it.  (sorry, but I donly do fleet inspections for the company I work for)

KBCraig

Such things won't be in the RSAs, but in the "rules", as has been noted. I assume NH has an "administrative code", which is the state equivalent of the Code of Federal Regulations: "laws" passed without the legislature or chief executive.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: KBCraig on July 19, 2009, 12:58 AM NHFT
Such things won't be in the RSAs, but in the "rules", as has been noted. I assume NH has an "administrative code", which is the state equivalent of the Code of Federal Regulations: "laws" passed without the legislature or chief executive.

Rules implement the laws. They just clarify how the law is to be enforced.

Advertisement: Bridge for sale in NYC. Well traveled with excellent income. Low maintenance. Must see to appreciate.

Lloyd Danforth

Right.  As in the case of Real ID. A law was passed making Real ID in NH illegal. However, it was never added to the Administrative Code and the Department of Public Safety and DMV are continuing just as if the law was never passed.

Keyser Soce

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on July 19, 2009, 06:57 AM NHFT

Right.  As in the case of Real ID. A law was passed making Real ID in NH illegal. However, it was never added to the Administrative Code and the Department of Public Safety and DMV are continuing just as if the law was never passed.

WTF? Is anyone following up on this?

Lloyd Danforth

Keyser Soce

neggy

I know in MA they just changed the motorcycle inspection process to make sure plates were horizontal.

The general law for MA says plates must be attached in such a way that they can be read from X many feet away, and no coverings can be used on them

Some states have outlawed coverings that make it so the plates can't be read by a camera.. a polorized cover will do that, and there are also laws on the books in some states making it illegal to apply coatings that similarly prevent cameras from getting pictures of the plates.

cynthia

I have mine stuck on with cheap scotch tape, and, they lasted through the winter! (they are stubborn)
When the thug-nut stole my car and plates, he dropped the wingnuts on the ground, so I figured scotch tape was the obvious, disrespectful solution.