• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Odds someone else has your SSN? One in 7

Started by Jim Johnson, December 05, 2010, 02:35 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Johnson

John

About 6 years ago I started a campain to get people to stop saying "my taxes" because they are not your taxes. They are the government's taxes.
For several years, I was very frequently getting up on my little soap box (personal conversation, forum discussion, talk radio calls, etc.) and seem to have had some success. These days, I frequently find myself commenting to folks and thanking them for not saying "my' when they talk about taxes.

Today I start the campain to get people to stop saying "my Social Security Number." It is not "my" number. It is not your number.

side note from the article:

..."One agency he doesn't blame: The Social Security Administration."

Certainly, they know there are problems. They are the first to understand this," he said. "It's not a problem of them issuing numbers.  They were never intended to be a unique identifier ... but in the past few decades, businesses have used it because it's easy."

Lloyd Danforth

When I started basic training, they had us memorize an 7 digit id number.  About half way thru that, very training period, the DOD realized that every male 18 who didn't come from a farm already had a number specific to him, the SSN that had already been assigned to him.
From then on, we used the ssn as our id number.

Jim Johnson

The US army stenciled my full name and a ssn on a 3 1/2 foot long bill board. Then they had me carry it around airports and bus stations.  They called it a duffel bag.  I called it heavy.

My full name and a ssn were the things I was supposed to give freely to anyone who asked.  Especially enemys of the United States who captured me.