• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Warning about fake gold bars

Started by KBCraig, September 19, 2012, 01:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineShark

Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 21, 2012, 06:59 AM NHFTYes, thank you, value is subjective; which is why it is perfectly correct for someone to say, 'That something is over priced'.

In that way, it's also perfectly correct to say, "I have to pay my taxes," since they are the taxes that are assigned to you.  But it implies that the taxes are, legitimately, something you should pay.  If you don't pay, you're seen as failing to fulfill a responsibility, of which you just took ownership.

Saying, "that's over-priced" implies that it's possible for something to be, objectively, over-priced.  Which leads to ideas like "price gouging" and "excessive profit" and other such nonsense.

Don't use their language.

You pay - or don't - their taxes.  The government's taxes, not your taxes.  And the price of gold might be too high for you - it might be an investment with too much short-term risk for your taste - but it's never just "over-priced."

Russell Kanning

I agree with Jim. He can bonk me on the head.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: MaineShark on September 21, 2012, 07:28 AM NHFT
Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 21, 2012, 06:59 AM NHFTYes, thank you, value is subjective; which is why it is perfectly correct for someone to say, 'That something is over priced'.

In that way, it's also perfectly correct to say, "I have to pay my taxes," since they are the taxes that are assigned to you.  But it implies that the taxes are, legitimately, something you should pay.  If you don't pay, you're seen as failing to fulfill a responsibility, of which you just took ownership.

Saying, "that's over-priced" implies that it's possible for something to be, objectively, over-priced.  Which leads to ideas like "price gouging" and "excessive profit" and other such nonsense.

Don't use their language.

You pay - or don't - their taxes.  The government's taxes, not your taxes.  And the price of gold might be too high for you - it might be an investment with too much short-term risk for your taste - but it's never just "over-priced."

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Russell Kanning

I think he wants to buy some gold from you.;-)

MaineShark

Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 21, 2012, 06:08 PM NHFTSorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.

"That's over-priced" is not subjective language.  "That's priced too high for my interest" is.

If you use language that supports the idea of objective value, then it helps folks believe in that farce.

Many types of language (like, "my taxes") include hidden assumptions.

Russell Kanning

Maybe he is subject to some objectivist tendencies:-)

Jim Johnson

Quote from: MaineShark on September 23, 2012, 09:19 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 21, 2012, 06:08 PM NHFTSorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.

"That's over-priced" is not subjective language.  "That's priced too high for my interest" is.

If you use language that supports the idea of objective value, then it helps folks believe in that farce.

Many types of language (like, "my taxes") include hidden assumptions.

Oh I get it; they have a language that I'm not supposed to use, if I want to be part of the liberty us.

In mathematics you would be concentrating on instantaneous values and ignoring rates and vectors.  But rates and vectors is how you should be arriving at instantaneous values, i.e. spot price.

MaineShark

Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 24, 2012, 05:49 AM NHFTOh I get it; they have a language that I'm not supposed to use, if I want to be part of the liberty us.

Probably not that extreme :)

I just think it's a good idea to avoid speaking in ways that encourage them.

Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 24, 2012, 05:49 AM NHFTIn mathematics you would be concentrating on instantaneous values and ignoring rates and vectors.  But rates and vectors is how you should be arriving at instantaneous values, i.e. spot price.

No, spot price is not the value of gold.  Spot price is a number used in a particular trading market, which mostly involves "paper" gold.  The value of a gold coin is what I can trade it for.  A one-ounce gold coin will typically get you a basic woodstove, delivered and installed.  Two would allow you to do the same, but upgrade to a nice stove.  An ounce of gold will get you a pretty decent suit.  It would get you a basic, but solid used car.  Half an ounce would get you a run-down but functional used car.  Ten would get you a solidly reliable used truck.

Any given deal may be a bit off that, since every deal is unique, but those are some good ballparks.  You can probably trade a one-ounce gold coin for something between 1500 and 2000 Federal Reserve Notes (or a smaller number of higher-denomination notes), depending upon who you're dealing with.

While spot price sometimes vaguely tracks that, it really has little practical meaning.  Two ounces of silver will buy me two dozen eggs a week for three months.  That's what things are worth; not spot price.  Spot price is for large ingots that are not actually being physically traded.