• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

H.R.4547 - Universal concealed carry reciprocity!

Started by Recumbent ReCycler, January 31, 2006, 10:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Recumbent ReCycler

H.R.4547 would require all states to honor the concealed carry licenses of all other states, just like they honor the drivers licenses from all other states.  Contact your congressman to ask them to support this bill!  :D

"To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State. (Introduced in House)

HR 4547 IH

109th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 4547
To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

December 14, 2005
Mr. STEARNS introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. NATIONAL STANDARD FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS BY NONRESIDENTS.

(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:

`Sec. 926D. National standard for the carrying of certain concealed firearms by nonresidents

`(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued by a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm (other than a machinegun or destructive device) may carry in another State a concealed firearm (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

`(b)(1) If such other State issues licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms, the person may carry a concealed firearm in the State under the same restrictions which apply to the carrying of a concealed firearm by a person to whom the State has issued such a license or permit.

`(2) If such other State does not issue licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms, the person may not, in the State, carry a concealed firearm in a police station, in a public detention facility, in a courthouse, in a public polling place, at a meeting of a State, county, or municipal governing body, in a school, at a professional or school athletic event not related to firearms, in a portion of an establishment licensed by the State to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, or inside the sterile or passenger area of an airport, except to the extent expressly permitted by State law.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:

`926D. National standard for the carrying of certain concealed firearms by nonresidents.'."

KBCraig

I oppose it.

- It's further federal meddling in something which ought to be up to the states to determine.

- It lends further legitimacy to the notion that it's acceptable to require a license or permit to exercise a fundamental human right.

- It discriminates against residents of the only state which takes a truly constitutional approach to bearing arms: Vermont.

Kevin

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: KBCraig on January 31, 2006, 10:41 PM NHFT
I oppose it.

- It's further federal meddling in something which ought to be up to the states to determine.

- It lends further legitimacy to the notion that it's acceptable to require a license or permit to exercise a fundamental human right.

- It discriminates against residents of the only state which takes a truly constitutional approach to bearing arms: Vermont.

Kevin

I don't oppose it, but I will not support it.  I have a limited amount of freedom fighting energy and this is mostly moving sideways.  I only support things that are very good or oppose things that are very bad.

However, didn't you leave Alaska out of your above statement?

KBCraig

Quote from: TN-FSP on January 31, 2006, 10:44 PM NHFT
However, didn't you leave Alaska out of your above statement?

No, I thought about Alaska. While they don't require any permit to carry, they do issue one specifically for people who want to carry outside the state. Alaska does have a mostly constitutional approach, but Alaskans wouldn't be left in the cold by this bill, either. Pardon the pun.

One thing I forgot to include: drivers' licenses aren't recognized just because of a federal law. Drivers' licenses are recognized because the states agreed to recognize them, just like reciprocity on concealed carry.

Kevin

tracysaboe

I oppose it.

Kevin

Ditto
Tracy

aries

I oppose it.

Kevin
Agreed.

I also oppose it simply on the grounds that it is a federal law, and the only bills passed by congress I support, are those commending baseball teams for victory, and those repealing old laws. I'd rather work towards abolishing and destroying the federal government completely.

And Vermont's gun sales do involve a LOT of background checking, though almost every gun can be bought there... by a resident.

Lloyd Danforth

I agree, although this would be helpfull for me as I travel between NH and CT a lot.  Massachusetts is never going to recognise a NH permit.

aries

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on February 01, 2006, 07:12 AM NHFT
I agree, although this would be helpfull for me as I travel between NH and CT a lot.  Massachusetts is never going to recognise a NH permit.
Do you just risk it? I mean, a cop isn't going to find out you had a gun in the car unless he arrests you and searches it, and if you bring it concealed in public, nobody should know.

It would be good for Mass, but let Mass voters decide their states policy. The UN doesn't force America to let Canadians with prescriptions carry copious amounts of weed with them on their drives down to Mexico...

vanguardist

I also oppose it. Let's not give the feds even more power. They need to be stopped. Once this starts, who is to say that later on more restrictions will be added or it will be taken away? Centralization is why we have war, shitty money, welfare, and war on drugs: all federal.

I also agree that it's a bad move in terms of general freedom since to carry a gun is a right.