• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kat recognized!

Started by FSPinNY, May 01, 2006, 07:42 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FSPinNY

Congratulations Kat  ;D

http://www.nh.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060501/NHM01/60501005

New Hampshire magazine, May 2006.  Advocates, Activists, Agitators - Our Remarkable Women 2006

Agitators: Shaking Things Up

Free State Fundamentalist

Kat Dillon: She's only lived here for two years, but has quickly become one of the most vocal Libertarians in the state. She moved to Keene as part of the Free State Project, an effort to shift the political balance by moving 20,000 Libertarians to New Hampshire.

Last spring, Dillon received the most notorious manicure in state history: the one given by an unlicensed practitioner in a public protest of state licensing. In February, she and her husband Russell Kanning were arrested outside a Manchester building where President Bush was giving a speech for refusing to move to a designated protest area.

Dillon is even putting her home on the line for her principles: She is refusing to pay the school portion of her property taxes because public schools ?teach conformity, and they don't teach much else.? Need we say that her daughter is home schooled?

Kat Kanning

Pat K

YeahItsMeJP

Atlas

I'm gonna have to call Kat Mrs. Celeb from now on.

Kat Kanning

That's good, cause Russell is the real celeb...that makes me Mrs. Celeb.

Kat Kanning

They had this awards banquet thing this morning.  When they called me up, they said "She moved here with the Free State Project..." and explained what it was.  There were a couple hundred people in the room.  They didn't lynch me :)

Pat K

Glad your safe and sound

KBCraig

Congratulations, Kat!

Did you speak in public?  ;D

Kat Kanning

Kat Kanning

I got a real interesting phone call from this.  A man said he'd been considering not paying for the school part of his property tax, then he saw the article.  Independently, he'd also talked to Adam and Kate who told him they knew people trying it.  His reasoning is that the NH Constititution prohits forcing anyone to pay for a religious school, and the public schools teach the religion of secular humanism.

president

Quote from: katdillon on May 18, 2006, 09:23 AM NHFT
His reasoning is that the NH Constititution prohits forcing anyone to pay for a religious school, and the public schools teach the religion of secular humanism.
I wish people wouldn't give there reasoning......

So the guy is against this:
http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?section=main&page=what
What Is Secular Humanism?

Secular Humanism is a term which has come into use in the last thirty years to describe a world view with the following elements and principles:

* A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted on faith.
    * Commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence, and scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.
    * A primary concern with fulfillment, growth, and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.
    * A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.
    * A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.
    * A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.
    * A conviction that with reason, an open marketplace of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.

And he thinks it is a religion?

I am guessing he is just mad they aren't teaching his religion. To bad he can just say it is wrong to have to pay to educate someone elses children.

Kat Kanning

I got the impression that's what he thought.  He was looking for reasons to use.

Kat Kanning

LOL!  She didn't like the threat to her salary is the real story here.  (See Taking Exception)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kat Kanning