• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Public Busing

Started by Dreepa, July 21, 2006, 01:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

Many towns in NH are raises taxes to fund higher fuel costs.  The school budget goes up because it costs more to bus the kids.

Many people will fight when it comes to school budgets. (It is for the children after all.)

But what if instead of going after the schools, the transportation budget was cut instead?
I mean if parents drove their kids to school that would save tons of money right?  Which means the school budget would decrease which means that taxes would go down.  Parents could use that money that they save and hire private buses.

Would this be an easier pill for some to swallow?
When I brought this up to some people they said I was crazy.  'What about the kids whose parents don't have cars?'  I replied you show me those kids and I will drive them to school.

There doesn't seem to be any logical rebuttal except that... it has always been done this way.

Pat K

The parents don't want to drive the kids to school.

The first thing they do here if a school budget does not pass is cut off all the buses they can. After a month or so of this the budget passes.

aries

Quote from: Pat K on July 21, 2006, 03:51 PM NHFT
The parents don't want to drive the kids to school.

The first thing they do here if a school budget does not pass is cut off all the buses they can. After a month or so of this the budget passes.

That happened here and my school was missing about 1/3 of the student body for a week.

The parents refused to cave  ;D

dalebert

Anyone know what percentage of parents send their kids to school via bus? I have no idea. If it's a minority, maybe the public can be convinced to separate the cost and have those using the service pay for it.

aries

Quote from: dalebert on July 25, 2006, 12:07 PM NHFT
Anyone know what percentage of parents send their kids to school via bus? I have no idea. If it's a minority, maybe the public can be convinced to separate the cost and have those using the service pay for it.

~50% of highschool

More for elementary, like 70+%