• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Suing for higher speed limits

Started by lildog, June 29, 2007, 10:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Braddogg

One bit of civil disobedience I've been wanting to do for a while has been related to speed limits.  Get five people.  Three of them in cars.  Two of them holding a banner.  The three in cars go three abreast at the speed limit, so that all three lanes of traffic are going the speed limit.  Watch the traffic pile up.  Then the people with the banner wait at an overpass and display the banner suggesting the repeal of speed limit laws, by saying that the laws, if followed, would have terrible consequences.

Actually, that's not civil disobedience, that's radical civil OBEDIENCE ;D

KBCraig

That one has been done pretty effectively before. I remember when it was done in SoCal in protest of the 55mph limit. I think they were four or five abreast, and had traffic bunch up for miles. People were passing on the shoulders.

sandm000

Braddogg

Quote from: KBCraig on July 10, 2007, 01:10 AM NHFT
That one has been done pretty effectively before. I remember when it was done in SoCal in protest of the 55mph limit. I think they were four or five abreast, and had traffic bunch up for miles. People were passing on the shoulders.

Do they still have a 55 MPH speed limit?

Sandm -- Cool video!

KBCraig

Quote from: Braddogg on July 10, 2007, 12:23 PM NHFT

This was 30 years ago, and the limit stayed in place for another couple of decades.

Braddogg

Quote from: KBCraig on July 10, 2007, 06:10 PM NHFT
Quote from: Braddogg on July 10, 2007, 12:23 PM NHFT

This was 30 years ago, and the limit stayed in place for another couple of decades.

Then I guess it wasn't all that effective ;)

error

Doing it only once isn't going to have a lot of impact. Doing it DAILY, at slightly different times each day, would have an effect.

toowm

So why does I-93 south go from 65 to 55 around Salem, ~4 miles north of the Mass border? It's actually just before it goes from 2 to 3 lanes, so it's a really stupid change, especially when it goes back to 65 in police state Massachusetts. Probably won't change anytime soon, because widening is supposed to take 6 years (which means 12).