• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Complaining about the wrong thing

Started by Dreepa, October 14, 2006, 10:32 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

Quote from: DadaOrwell on October 18, 2006, 05:16 AM NHFT
Chris any objections if I add some hopkington perp offices to my silent demo schedule?  any guidelines you'd want me to follow if I drop by?  any suggestions as to where, if anywhere, I should go with my little sign?
And then you can swing by my place. ;D

Not the tax office because they are upset as well. I spent some time there this morning.
Maybe the assessor's office but..... I think that today was his last day.
Let me see what, if any, other office would be good.

There is a huge groundswell of anti tax.  I agree with Spencer that writing that one big check makes people think.  But some people just want to bring up how the income tax is much more 'fair'. 
A few people have asked me if I am going to run for Selectman which is pretty funny cuz I just moved into town 13 months ago.  They see me at all the meeting taking notes...and they know I have all the budget numbers.  I told each person that asked me to run.. I said you are going to call me Dr No because I will never increase the taxes and will look to cut things. No one seems to mind.
I hope we get some more people to the Tazpayer's meeting.

Pat K

Holy crap their taxes went up 3400 in a year? We need to bring back tar and feathering.

Dreepa

Quote from: Pat K on October 18, 2006, 07:42 PM NHFT
Holy crap their taxes went up 3400 in a year? We need to bring back tar and feathering.
Well some people haven't been reading their bills exactly right.  I have spent a lot of time trying to explain people's bills.

The root of the problem is that the school and town spent too much money (voted in by the people).

Pat K

To bad every one in town just won't say, hey tell ya what, You can have the same amount you got last year and thats it.

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Spencer on October 18, 2006, 04:59 PM NHFT
The best part about NH (and what draws me and my wife to plan to move there in the next 12-16 months) is the property tax system.  People actually see what they are paying.  Income taxes don't cause most people to give a crap because all of it is being withheld and therefore never really exists to most people.  Sales taxes are similar in that regard.  Having to cut a check to the government every year hurts, and I think that it is a major reason for NH being as relatively free as it is today.

yes and for that reason it just needs to be modified to become MORE libertarian by shifting taxes off of capital (buildings) and onto the socially created land values called economic rent (which is not taxation at all)...

Dave Ridley

that's funny the tax office is hacked off.... but there must be some idea one can present them which will nudge them toward making the situation better; or there must be something they could come up with on their own. 

i mean...if you worked for the tax office what would you try to do to improve things for average folks?   

Dreepa

Quote from: DadaOrwell on October 18, 2006, 10:57 PM NHFT
that's funny the tax office is hacked off....

They just get all the complaints they have no power in setting the rules.