• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Smoking pot: misdemeanor. Eating it: felony!

Started by KBCraig, January 24, 2007, 02:19 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Spencer

The police here (Portland, Oregon) grab my clients by the jaw, applying a "bureau approved hold," that involves squeezing a person's jaw at the mandibular joint, shouting, "Spit it out, spit it out!"  This, of course, is only done to suspected crack users in downtown.

KBCraig

Quote from: fsp-ohio on January 30, 2007, 12:34 AM NHFT
I thought so too.  I figured something like the heimlick manuever or something like it to get him to caugh up.
Quote from: Spencer on January 30, 2007, 12:38 AM NHFT
The police here (Portland, Oregon) grab my clients by the jaw, applying a "bureau approved hold," that involves squeezing a person's jaw at the mandibular joint, shouting, "Spit it out, spit it out!"  This, of course, is only done to suspected crack users in downtown.

There's a third element: pinch the nostrils shut. The choice to "spit and breath, or suffocate" is quite a motivator.

That technique doesn't fall into the category of "positive reinforcement".

Lloyd Danforth

The cop who gets close enough to me to squeeze my nostrils is going to spend the rest of his life Blind.

LiveFree

Seems like a completely inappropriate level of force to grab someone by the jaw or to try to suffocate them.

Spencer

Quote from: LiveFree on January 31, 2007, 09:21 AM NHFT
Seems like a completely inappropriate level of force to grab someone by the jaw or to try to suffocate them.

In the war on drugs, no level of force is inappropriate.

Lloyd Danforth

"Hey!  We'll brake your fucking jaw!   It's for the kids!"

LiveFree

Quote from: Spencer on January 31, 2007, 10:45 PM NHFT

Have you become aware of any civil suits coming up as a result of these sorts of heavy handed tactics?  Any criminal cases dismissed because of it?

Spencer

Quote from: LiveFree on February 01, 2007, 11:17 PM NHFT
Quote from: Spencer on January 31, 2007, 10:45 PM NHFT

Have you become aware of any civil suits coming up as a result of these sorts of heavy handed tactics?  Any criminal cases dismissed because of it?

Civil suits: No.

Criminal cases dismissed: Occasionally, but not due to the outrageous governmental conduct, rather due to suppression motions being granted (when the police lacked probable cause to conduct a "search").