• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Karma weirdness

Started by mvpel, February 18, 2007, 11:41 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

You mean you don't put in a complaint every time that happens?

CNHT

Quote from: Quantrill on February 21, 2007, 10:14 PM NHFT
Question - if your property line extends all the way up (as that's my understanding of the Courts' opinion) then how can airplanes, helicopters etc... fly over your property line without paying you for it? 

Dang I don't know, but don't tell the ASB or the BTLA, or they will dream up a new tax for you...sorta like the UN wanting to tax 'future space vehicles'!

CNHT

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on February 21, 2007, 10:16 PM NHFT
You mean you don't put in a complaint every time that happens?

Lloyd, don't you ever sleep?  ;)

toowm

Quote from: Quantrill on February 21, 2007, 10:14 PM NHFT
Question - if your property line extends all the way up (as that's my understanding of the Courts' opinion) then how can airplanes, helicopters etc... fly over your property line without paying you for it? 
You haven't homesteaded the sky with a castle, radio tower, space elevator, etc.

And even if you don't have zoning and tried, the air lanes were there first.

KBCraig

Quote from: error on February 21, 2007, 09:34 PM NHFT
Government provided the skies?

You're right. Airlines are free to use the skies.

But as soon as they go Bingo, they're going to have to rely on some gummint-provided infrastructure.

"Closest available cow pasture" is not generally rated to handle 7xx Boeing products.

Kevin

error

There's no reason that airport must be government-provided.

Russell Kanning

and they do pay for access to government run airports

KBCraig

Quote from: error on February 22, 2007, 07:05 AM NHFT
There's no reason that airport must be government-provided.

There's no reason that roads must be government provided. Except that they are, and that eliminates the free market for competition.

Kevin

error

Then you just get rid of the government.

P.S. Here's a little history of private toll roads in New Hampshire.

KBCraig

Quote from: error on February 22, 2007, 03:09 PM NHFT
Then you just get rid of the government.

That's the goal, isn't it?

P.S. Here's a little history of private toll roads in New Hampshire.

Good info. Thanks!

cathleeninnh

Quote from: KBCraig on February 21, 2007, 05:37 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 21, 2007, 02:48 PM NHFT
fuel taxes my friend

Fuel taxes don't come anywhere close to the cost of building and maintaining roadways just for the truck traffic.

Some railroads bought their land. Some received it for free (along with other land for development), when all land was "free" during westward expansion. Very few miles of trackage came from eminent domain (mostly in the East). Then they had to build road beds, bridges, lay track, buy the motive power and rolling stock to service the territory. Then for all that investment, they're rewarded with a hefty tax bill for the "improved industrial land" for every mile of track. Oh, and they get to pay fuel taxes, too.

Trucks and airlines have government-provided infrastructure waiting for them to use. They just have to provide the vehicles and obtain enough cargo/passengers to pay the bills.

Kevin

I was wondering about this on our trip last week down south. The truck traffic on I90/84/81/77/85 far exceeded the auto traffic. If they outnumber us and their gas consumption far exceeds ours, then they must be paying loads more gas taxes. And don't they have other taxes/fees to pay? If it doesn't cover the cost of these roads, then something is seriously wrong with the fee structure.

Cathleen

Lloyd Danforth

Sort of parallels how private road pricing might be structured:  Weigh more....pay more

Russell Kanning

During a weekday morning or overnight on a lonely interstate .... almost all the traffic is big rigs. They get used to almost ignoring the cars and considering it their roads. 4 wheelers are just a bother.

Big rigs don't pay at the pump ... they pay by the mile in the states they drive. They fill out quarterly reports that go to each state. Even when I leased my truck, I had a company take care of those forms. Each state has its own prices ... and then I guess there would be fed stuff.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 26, 2007, 11:09 AM NHFT
During a weekday morning or overnight on a lonely interstate .... almost all the traffic is big rigs. They get used to almost ignoring the cars and considering it their roads. 4 wheelers are just a bother.

Big rigs don't pay at the pump ... they pay by the mile in the states they drive. They fill out quarterly reports that go to each state. Even when I leased my truck, I had a company take care of those forms. Each state has its own prices ... and then I guess there would be fed stuff.

I remember discussing private roads many years ago.  One of the ideas was to charge less to all vehicles who use the road on the off  hours or non rush hours.  That limits the misery of rush hour and leads to customer satisfaction.