• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Moving my current business(es)?

Started by SpeedPhreak, March 02, 2007, 02:33 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedPhreak

I currently own under 1 roof an embroidery, sublimation, & airbrush business.

I decorate mostly clothing, but will airbrush on anything from cars to hair to boats to skin.  My girlfriend & her sister run the embroidery.  Our sublimation business is used mostly for local sports groups as it is the superior process to decorate athletic apparel (remains breathable on athletic/dry fit type clothing).

We have kind of a niche here... but the airbrush will do good in any tourist area provided there is little competition (I hate lowering prices).  What area's are the tourist destinations?  Anyone in the embroidery/screen print biz?  What is the market like there for upstarts?

I keep all of these in 1 location for cost considerations... but most of what we do outside of airbrush is volume (from dozens to hundreds of pieces per order) & can be done in a basement or back room (of an airbrush store).

Anyone interested in helping me out with the logistics on this?

Russell Kanning

SpeedPhreak

not that I am afraid of competition... & I don't know the "morals" of the competition... but in my area & the people I learned the trade from... if someone is already set up & there isn't room for another... then we don't infringe.   So thanks.

Rosie the Riveter

I found this list of nh airbrushers --

Art Attack Signs & Designs
Newport, NH

603-863-6911
Twistd Air Custom Airbrushing
Windham, NH

603-234-9368
Brushwood Studios
North Haverhill, NH

303-787-6803
Manchvegas Tats
Manchester, NH

603-350-0964
Fitsy's Custom Paint
Suncook, NH

603-485-5800
Oceanarts
Rye, NH

386-383-1250
Joppa Clayworks
Warner, NH

603-456-3276

Humm-- hampton beach is touristy http://www.hamptonbeach.org/ but it is the town right next to Rye and in turn "Oceanarts"

I truly feel like any good and proven business can be successful in a populated area with the right marketing.

Good Luck with your search.

Dave Ridley

it's hard for me to imagine a well run biz failing here especially with 500 poeple already in state that would likely prefer to do business with "one of their own" like you.   But if there is no room for competition in your trade I guess that's potentially different.   

the fact that you are tourist oriented should work to your favor since this is a major tourist destination.   sometimes it seems like sunday has its own southbound rush hour just from all the returning skiers.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: DadaOrwell on March 02, 2007, 07:12 PM NHFT
it's hard for me to imagine a well run biz failing here especially with 500 poeple already in state that would likely prefer to do business with "one of their own" like you.   But if there is no room for competition in your trade I guess that's potentially different.   

the fact that you are tourist oriented should work to your favor since this is a major tourist destination.   sometimes it seems like sunday has its own southbound rush hour just from all the returning skiers.

I agree Dada -- think of the freedom and liberty patches, t-shirts and flags that we could have made with a Porc airbrusher with embroidery capability.  :icon_thumright:

Lloyd Danforth

The seacoast and lake district for sure during the season.   White Mountains area, leaf peeping (entire state) Skiing.  With the activism likely as we add to the numbers in NH a porc that could turn out a bunch of custom tshirts  or hats on short notice would get some business.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Lloyd 'Posterboy' Danforth on March 02, 2007, 09:46 PM NHFT
The seacoast and lake district for sure during the season.   White Mountains area, leaf peeping (entire state) Skiing.  With the activism likely as we add to the numbers in NH a porc that could turn out a bunch of custom tshirts  or hats on short notice would get some business.

back of t-shirt slogan "Feds get off my back"

OK -- maybe not.

SpeedPhreak

I guess airbrushing is rather large on the east coast.

Out here it goes in cycles... for a year or 2 it is really popular with a lot of money to be made.  Times (like now) it's not.  When I first started I knew 90% of the airbrushers in the state by 1st name & for the most part we all got along well.  Now it's different... there are more artists, less respect... but I am not to worried about it.  A good artist will make money anywhere regardless of competition.

As stated I do mid volume embroidery & sublimation work too.  I don't want to give my cost away but I can take any quality computer generated image & sublimated to a 50/50 shirt & sell it for as low as $3.50 if I had too... my lowest price is usually $4.50ea (add $2 for a dark shirt).  The only draw back is the 50/50 shirt doesn't allow for full color saturation.  You usually can't tell unless compared side by side w/a full polyester shirt.  But the full polyester shirt adds significantly to the cost... a minimum of $3 per shirt.  It doesn't replace screen printing but for certain applications it is far superior (primarily athletic & small - mid run orders... 1 - 100 or so).

As long as the traffic is good I would set up in a tourist area that has other artists... I would also have the embroidery & sublimation.

I am also going to start experimenting with sublimated tile murals & metal art.

I appreciate all the replies.  I am probably looking at, at least a few years before I move though so the entire geography will probably have changed by then.

I will however be happy to design, print, & ship shirts to NH for the cause.  I will do this at no profit, at a rate of no more than 100 shirts per month.  With out the shipping cost I am estimating about $2.50-$3/shirt (there goes my not telling costs idea ;))... depending on the design. 

That is for white 50/50 short sleeve only... grey or other light colors will be about .50 more (depending on what sales are going on that week at the supply houses) & the offer does not include dark colors (that require me to print white as well as the colors... its a tedious process & I dont like to do it).

I will only print/ship them in lots of 25 or more.  I will also use your artwork if you want (which would make it easier on me... no larger than 8.25X13.75 & 300dpi)  I think that at that price... even if it costs a buck or 2 for shipping to NH (from colorado) you could have a messaged Tshirt for every event you do.

The shirts are for personal use or may be sold at a profit with proceeds going to support the group effort (no one can do this to pad their own bank account).

If I find anyone taking advantage of this offer for personal reasons it will no longer be available.

Let me know.

Dreepa

Quote from: SpeedPhreak on March 04, 2007, 06:28 PM NHFT

I will however be happy to design, print, & ship shirts to NH for the cause.  I will do this at no profit, at a rate of no more than 100 shirts per month.  With out the shipping cost I am estimating about $2.50-$3/shirt (there goes my not telling costs idea ;))... depending on the design. 

That is for white 50/50 short sleeve only... grey or other light colors will be about .50 more (depending on what sales are going on that week at the supply houses) & the offer does not include dark colors (that require me to print white as well as the colors... its a tedious process & I dont like to do it).

I will only print/ship them in lots of 25 or more.  I will also use your artwork if you want (which would make it easier on me... no larger than 8.25X13.75 & 300dpi)  I think that at that price... even if it costs a buck or 2 for shipping to NH (from colorado) you could have a messaged Tshirt for every event you do.

The shirts are for personal use or may be sold at a profit with proceeds going to support the group effort (no one can do this to pad their own bank account).

If I find anyone taking advantage of this offer for personal reasons it will no longer be available.

Cool

Any of you artists want to take a crack at making a 'moved to NH' shirt?  or a MVP shirt?

We could sell them for a few $ more and then donate it to the LSF or something....
Also I can see them selling for campaigns (Both political and non politcal)

SpeedPhreak

Mostly because, all though new, I believe in this movement & feel it is of upmost importance.  Even if I never move to NH... when this is successful it will be a model & I feel other states will begin to follow.

I am not a greedy person... granted everyone needs to make a living one way or another & I do one day want to have a higher than avg net worth... I am making a comfortable enough living right now that I am in a position I can do this.  Tomorrow may change but for now I am comfortable w/my offer (though I will probably add my company logo somewhere on the shirt... usually small on the back of the neck).

Lastly, because one day I may need to ask a favor or 2 & I hope that people with the ability at that point in time will remember this & return the favor... although not expected I believe in karma & "do unto others".