• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

RealID: NH has a second chance to reject it

Started by KBCraig, April 04, 2007, 02:44 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Nice editorial from the Union Leader.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Rebuff+REAL+ID%3a+NH+gets+a+second+chance&articleId=191df780-93de-4251-847e-de76953b58dc

Rebuff REAL ID: NH gets a second chance

Last spring the state House of Representatives passed a bill rejecting the state's participation in the federal REAL ID Act. The Senate killed the bill. Today the House has a chance to correct the Senate's mistake from a year ago.

House Bill 685 would prohibit the state from taking part in REAL ID, a misguided 2005 federal law designed to create a national identification card.

REAL ID would turn New Hampshire driver's licenses into electronic federal identification cards. Personal information stored in the licenses would be accessible via computer by thousands of federal bureaucrats, not to mention state DMV personnel.

This national database of personal information would be a hacker's mother lode. And if you think it would be safe in the federal government's hands, just remember those FBI laptops.

The House Transportation Committee sees this act for the burdensome intrusion that it is. The committee voted 16-0 to recommend passage of HB 685. The full house should pass the bill. This time it might find a more friendly reception in the Senate and New Hampshire can stand up to the federal government and say, no, we are not risking the privacy of our citizens for the false sense of security given by REAL ID.

error

I didn't write that editorial, but I'd love to meet the people who did.

ny2nh

Was it in the lefty column....the actual UL editorials? With no name attached? If so, then it was written by someone on the UL editorial staff. All Op Ed's submitted by the public list their name....and they don't get printed off in that left hand column.....

Rocketman

An unsigned editorial is the newspaper's opinion, written (or at least approved) by publisher Joe McQuaid.

After the fight we had over Real ID last year, it's great to see all that great activism paying off!

earthhaven

forsytjr

Quote from: error on April 04, 2007, 03:17 AM NHFT
I didn't write that editorial, but I'd love to meet the people who did.
He was at the Liberty Forum.  I really like the Union Leader.

CNHT

d_goddard

Well... Indiana has just become another fertile ground for spreading the word about the NH freedom movement.

Apparently the Granite State ID Coalition will be calling a press conference as soon as the public hearing on the anti-Real-ID bill is scheduled in the Senate -- it could be as early as next Monday. It would be great to get another big public show of support for the bill...