• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Septic

Started by Lex, April 27, 2007, 10:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Spencer

Here's 111 pages of fun -- the administrative rules that govern, among other things, septic systems:

http://www.des.state.nh.us/rules/envws1000.pdf

Of note to you are the following (assuming you give a shit -- pun intended -- what the regulations say):

Env-Ws 1022.02 Mini-Dry Well.
(a) If there will be no running water to, or wastewater discharge from, the dwelling, a mini-dry
well shall be used for the disposal of grey water. This mini-dry well shall be 75 feet from wells
and surface waters.
(b) A mini dry well shall be a hole up to 18 inches in diameter and 12 inches deep, filled with
stone or gravel.

Env-Ws 1003.01 Preparation.
(a) Plans for small disposal systems shall be prepared by a permitted designer except in the instance of a single family residence in which case the owner may prepare the design for his or her own domicile.
(b) In all cases, except when a small residential system is designed by the owner, the submitted plans shall have a seal affixed by a designer permitted in accordance with RSA 485-A:35, I.
(c) The seal affixed to all submitted plans shall be as follows:
(1) The seal shall be circular in design with corner borders;
(2) The seal shall be 1.9 inches in height;
(3) The circular portion shall include the wording "New Hampshire" at the top and "Department of Environmental Services" at the bottom; and
(4) Within the circular area, the words "Designer of Subsurface Disposal Systems" and the name and permit number of the permitted designer shall be contained.
(d) Plans for disposal systems greater than 2500 GPD shall be designed by and bear the stamps of a permitted designer who is also a civil or sanitary engineer licensed in the state of New Hampshire.
(e) Plans for systems greater than 600 GPD on ledge lots shall be designed by and bear the stamps of a permitted designer who is also a civil or sanitary engineer registered in the state of New Hampshire.
(f) Plans which involve the practice of land surveying as defined by RSA 310-A:54, IV shall bear the stamp of a licensed land surveyor as required by RSA 310-A:53, II and RSA 310-A:67, II.

An actual statute (not some crappy -- pun intended -- administrative rule) is at RSA 485-A:32:

485-A:32 Prior Approval; Permits. ?
    I. No person shall construct any building from which sewage or other wastes will discharge or construct a sewage or waste disposal system without prior approval of the plans and specifications of the sewage or waste disposal system by the department. Nothing herein shall be construed to modify or lessen the powers conferred upon local authorities by other statutes; provided, however, that in all instances the requirements contained in this chapter shall be considered as minimum.
    II. Any person submitting an application and plans for construction approval shall also certify in writing that he has complied with all local government requirements as relate to water supply and sewage disposal which must be complied with prior to application to the department of environmental services in those municipalities where regulations require prior local approval; and, at the same time, a copy of the certification shall be sent to the board of selectmen of the town or the city council of the city.

"Sewage disposal system" is defined at RSA 485-A:2(XI) as:

any private sewage disposal or treatment system, other than a municipally owned and operated system.

Last, but not least, is a link to the DES' Approved Technologies for Septic Systems (http://www.des.state.nh.us/factsheets/ssb/ssb-12.htm).

jaqeboy

Quote from: MaineShark on May 01, 2007, 04:26 PM NHFT
Greywater systems are also verboten, since NH doesn't have provisions for allowing greywater usage.  Again, silly but to the best of my knowledge, that's the case.

When I spoke to Doug Clayton (ref. the note below about his grey water system) at last year's Green Buildings Open House (at his house) he mentioned that he got to the right guy (that I think he knew somehow), and that he got approval for his grey water system, after presentation of his detailed plans and other supportive documentation, but that the guy said "Don't tell anyone that I approved this, okay?"   ;)

There's "the system", then there's "the way things really work."

cyberdoo78

Quote from: MaineShark on May 01, 2007, 04:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: cyberdoo78 on May 01, 2007, 01:38 PM NHFTIf you are going to do it yourself, why rely on these prefab systems when a wetlands style designed system works better and more effectively? Take a look at the Earthship design and use whatever you want.

Like it or not, the State frowns on using unapproved systems.  I think it's silly, but that's the way things are.  If you are occupying a property and there is no septic design and final inspection on file, they're going to come after you.  The biggest reason is for property taxes: if you have a "four-bedroom" septic, you will be taxed as a four-bedroom house, regardless of what you actually use the rooms for.

Greywater systems are also verboten, since NH doesn't have provisions for allowing greywater usage.  Again, silly but to the best of my knowledge, that's the case.

Thanks for the info Joe, it is really appreciated. The thing of it is that New Mexico has approved both the grey water and the black water treatment systems. Wetland style septic systems are used nation wide for commercial and residential use all the time. Like most things, the regulations haven't caught up with the technology.

Some states leave approval up to the county and some to the locality. Some allow for approval by one county to allow it in the remaining counties, others don't. What do you know about this and the approval process?

Good thing I expected and planned for this problem. It looks like I'll have to use my phased building construction plan to build my home. I have red tape. If I find the supplier of red tape, I'm gonna give him a piece of my foot.

MaineShark

Quote from: MaineShark on April 30, 2007, 03:59 PM NHFTNot an "alternative" to a septic system, but I'm going to put in an Enviro-Septic septic system, which treats waste with a smaller footprint and fewer restrictions due to its higher efficiency than traditional leachfields.

Just FYI, Presby occasionally has classes on this.  According to their literature, the classes are free, so it might be a good idea to contact them and ask when they will be holding a class.

Joe