• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Liberty loving film makers

Started by KBCraig, August 31, 2007, 10:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Radley Balko has a good piece about why Michael Moore has been successful, but his counterparts haven't.

http://www.theagitator.com/archives/028100.php#028100

August 30, 2007 Everything Is Against the Law

It's a few years old, but here's a good essay on just how meddlesome government has become in just one narrow segment of American life.

I really think this kind of thing is perfect for aspiring libertarian filmmakers. The joke that is Morgan Spurlock's success shows that a gimmick--in his case, a dishonest one--is far, far more likely to break through the noise and get people thinking about big issues than wonkish studies, journal articles, or public forums.

The sound analyses, studies, and such are important, of course. But we're bad at putting a compelling face on the costs of big government. The Moores and Spurlocks of the world are very good at punctuating their politics with anecdotes, which is too bad, because they're stuff usually is just that--anecdote unsupported by real data.

I've always thought it would be a good idea, for example, to send a film crew to follow the travails of an aspiring chef trying navigate the maze of bureaucracy required to open a restaurant in a place like New York City. Or anything, really, about how difficult and expensive it can be for an honest person to comply with regulatory hell while running a small business.

I know of a few projects like this in the works right now. Which is great. But we're behind. But there should be lots of them, exposing how government mucks up the works, impedes progress, and stifles innovation. There is, unfortunately, a wealth of material to work with.

Bob Spruill

Is it more difficult to start a new business selling hot-dogs or crack cocaine ?

It would be fairly easy to document how difficult it is to start a new hot-dog selling buisness.

It is probably somewhat difficult to record the trials and tribulations of a new crack dealer.

I suspect it is much, much easier to start a buisness selling crack.
And with the health inspectors always in your face and up your butt with a hot-dog biz, crack salesman  probably enjoy a more pleasant working environment.

A true and honest comparison would make a powerful movie and statement. I think.

KBCraig

Bob Spruill

Thank-you, it's good to be here.

I've been lurking for a few months.

Finally I thought of something to say ! LOL

kola

You could also try selling ..um.. "illegal" hot dogs.

Create a speakeasy place like in your basement or in a travel trailer in your backyard or just fire up the grill in the driveway.

Give all your "friends" hotdogs and ask for "donations" or barter with them.

The last I knew, there wasn't any laws stopping you from feeding your "friends".

HOT DOGGGS HEREEEEE. GET YUR HOT DOGGGGSSS HEREEEEEE!

signed,
Kola the Weenie-warrior

ThePug

Penn and Teller would be great for this sort of thing. I wonder if they're interested.