• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Bill of Rights trump "Eavesdropping" law?

Started by Rifkinn, September 12, 2007, 05:39 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rifkinn

I have seen that ppl have gotten in trouble in NH ( and elsewhere) when they are found to be recording police officers while they are on duty.  Personally, I think any person who is employed by the government should have no expectations of privacy during the course of their work day/night.

So, I was reading the NH Bill of Rights and came across this:

Quote[Art.] 8. [Accountability of Magistrates and Officers; Public's Right to Know.] All power residing originally in, and being derived from, the people, all the magistrates and officers of government are their substitutes and agents, and at all times accountable to them. Government, therefore, should be open, accessible, accountable and responsive. To that end, the public's right of access to governmental proceedings and records shall not be unreasonably restricted.

June 2, 1784
Amended 1976 by providing right of access to governmental proceedings and records.

I am just curious if anyone thinks this would be relevant to the problem of ppl recording anyone in a government position.

d_goddard

Quote from: Rifkinn on September 12, 2007, 05:39 PM NHFT
I was reading the NH Bill of Rights and came across this:
Quote[Art.] 8. [Accountability of Magistrates and Officers; Public's Right to Know.] All power residing originally in, and being derived from, the people, all the magistrates and officers of government are their substitutes and agents, and at all times accountable to them. Government, therefore, should be open, accessible, accountable and responsive. To that end, the public's right of access to governmental proceedings and records shall not be unreasonably restricted.

I am just curious if anyone thinks this would be relevant to the problem of ppl recording anyone in a government position.
Hell yes, it does -- to those in the legislature who actually read the Constitution.
Probably not to the people who voted to gut RSA91-A (the "right-to-know" law). Fortunately that was able to be killed in the Committee of Conference (at least, it appears to be mortally wounded)