• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Bug in the forums?

Started by dalebert, September 14, 2007, 09:39 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Lately I've been occasionally seeing a scroll bar appear inside a message post. It seems like a little of the message is cut off and the scroll bar doesn't work. Anyone else getting this?

Ron Helwig

Quote from: dalebert on September 14, 2007, 09:39 AM NHFT
Lately I've been occasionally seeing a scroll bar appear inside a message post. It seems like a little of the message is cut off and the scroll bar doesn't work. Anyone else getting this?

Yes.

Not sure why it happens, but I find it only slightly annoying. Sometimes the scroll bars do work. Sometimes reloading the page helps.

J’raxis 270145

It's the CSS overflow feature. If the text is too long (such as huge URLs), the forum is set to scroll just the text box inside each comment, instead of making the entire window wider.

dalebert

OK, I suspect that it creates both a horiz and vert scrollbar even though only a horiz one is needed. That's probably what's confusing me.

error

It depends. Sometimes there's a vertical scrollbar for no apparent reason whatsoever.

ladyattis

Well, the choice between horizontal versus verticle, if unless defined otherwise, will use both to show the overflow. There are options in style scripting to restrict to predefined limits (how much to the horizontal until line wrap, and etc), but generally just leaving as is tends to be better than overly tweaking the style sheet for every case, especially when it's such a rare case.

-- Brede

dalebert

OK, Ladyattis' post has a vertical scrollbar and no horizontal one and I can see no reason why it should.
:-\

TackleTheWorld

http://latelyi'vebeenoccasionallseeingascrollbarappearinsideamessagepost.Itseemslikeattleofthemessageiscutoffandthescrollbardoesn'twork.Anyoneelsegettingthis?

How is this one working?