• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ligers

Started by Friday, October 17, 2007, 07:55 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Friday

I'm still tripping on the ligers.  I thought that, by definition, species can't breed with one another.  I just checked, to see if I was misremembering:

spe·cies      /?spi?iz, -siz/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spee-sheez, -seez] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, plural -cies, adjective
–noun
1.   a class of individuals having some common characteristics or qualities; distinct sort or kind.
2.   Biology. the major subdivision of a genus or subgenus, regarded as the basic category of biological classification, composed of related individuals that resemble one another, are able to breed among themselves, but are not able to breed with members of another species.

Now, lions are Panthera leo.  And tigers are Panthera tigris.  So where the hell did ligers come from??   Plus, some breeds of dogs vary so dramatically in size, I'll bet it's physically impossible for some of them to breed with each other.  So does that mean they should really be broken into different species?  Canus rex and Canus yappie?  :icon_pirat:  I'm thinking that definition of "species" needs some work.  :inspect:

Meanwhile, Jane Goodall says that chimpanzees share 98% of their genes with humans.  So does that mean a chimp and a human could have viable offspring??   :munky2:

Tom Sawyer

I think maybe it is they can't reproduce like Mules... I think that might be the right example.

But, also species are just catagories that people created to organize nature sometimes nature doesn't follow our rules... the platypus.  ;D

KBCraig

Mules are hybrids and can't (usually) reproduce. Other inter-species breeding is common, such as dogs/wolves/coyotes, or domestic cats and bobcats, and those offspring can reproduce.

Friday

Dogs and wolves are the same species.

SethCohn

See http://madfoolish.blogspot.com/2007/09/top-10-hybrid-animals.html
for cool crosses, including photos.

And Ligers and Tigons aren't sterile, unlike Mules.

KBCraig

Quote from: Friday on October 21, 2007, 01:35 PM NHFT
Dogs and wolves are the same species.

Coyotes are not the same species, but sometimes breed with dogs and wolves, which is why I said "dogs/wolves/coyotes".

Pat K

"Meanwhile, Jane Goodall says that chimpanzees share 98% of their genes with humans.  So does that mean a chimp and a human could have viable offspring??"

Just picture George Bush, bent over and scratching
under his arms and you might think this has happened.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Pat K on October 21, 2007, 06:08 PM NHFT

"Meanwhile, Jane Goodall says that chimpanzees share 98% of their genes with humans.  So does that mean a chimp and a human could have viable offspring??"

Just picture George Bush, bent over and scratching
under his arms and you might think this has happened.

;D

David

To be healthy, the female must be of the larger of the two close species.  If done in reverse, the smaller female will not be able to bring to term the larger than normal offspring.  So a mule us usually a mix of a male donkey and a female horse. 
wouldn't it be neat, to see a wolf, and an Irish Wolf hound breed.  That would be one scary animal. 

Beth221

if she can bring to term offspring, its usually one cub, rather than a whole litter of them.