• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

A new twist on the smoking ban?

Started by KBCraig, November 09, 2007, 12:42 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Creative thinking, at least. A better solution would be to get government completely out of business decisions and matters of freedom of association. Anyone who wishes should be able to serve up drinks, smokes, and food.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Proposal+would+turn+tables+on+smoking%2c+drinking+sites&articleId=2f700ed8-7414-4950-b36d-883faeb8be2f

Proposal would turn tables on smoking, drinking sites

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CONCORD – Lawmakers have banned smoking where people drink in New Hampshire, but now they are being asked to allow drinking where people smoke.

Smoking was banned in restaurants and bars two months ago. Now, at least two legislators want smoke shops and cigar bars to be able to serve drinks, as long as at least 60 percent of their sales are from tobacco.

Rep. Thomas Buco of Conway said he is not trying to stir up controversy about banning smoking in restaurants.

He said smoke shops should be allowed to serve coffee, beer, wine and snacks.

Porcupine_in_MA

Thats a start  ;D. Is there any effort to repeal this ban?

J’raxis 270145

What was done already:—
http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=8145.0

More discussion on it:—
http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=7268.0
http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=8972.0

Any efforts directed against this ban during the next legislative session will no doubt involve the NHLA, so keep on eye on them—usually via d_goddard's posts here—to see what'll be done.

alohamonkey

I was in a cigar shop the other day and i was surprised to see that there was a group of about 6 businessmen sitting down, enjoying cigars, and tearing through a case of wine.  It appeared that the establishment was allowing customers to BYOB.  I think it's a great idea b/c a lot of restaurants (especially sushi for some reason) allow this - why wouldn't cigar shops be allowed?  I don't know what legal ramifications, permits, hoops you're supposed to jump through - but congrats to the business owners that defy this immoral ban. 

d_goddard

Quote from: Porcupine_in_MA on November 09, 2007, 08:56 AM NHFT
Is there any effort to repeal this ban?
Why, yes.
It's called "vote Republican"
Result: get back people who agree 80% with us to be in control of the state, then work from there, instead of the current bunch who agree with us about 20%

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: alohamonkey on November 09, 2007, 11:04 AM NHFT
I was in a cigar shop the other day and i was surprised to see that there was a group of about 6 businessmen sitting down, enjoying cigars, and tearing through a case of wine.  It appeared that the establishment was allowing customers to BYOB.  I think it's a great idea b/c a lot of restaurants (especially sushi for some reason) allow this - why wouldn't cigar shops be allowed?  I don't know what legal ramifications, permits, hoops you're supposed to jump through - but congrats to the business owners that defy this immoral ban. 

That didn't happen to be in Londonderry was it?

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: d_goddard on November 09, 2007, 11:32 AM NHFT
Why, yes.
It's called "vote Republican"
Result: get back people who agree 80% with us to be in control of the state, then work from there, instead of the current bunch who agree with us about 20%

Yeah, voting folk back into office is a good start but what about rallying business owners and other groups into some kind of permanant alliance against smoking bans? Weren't Republicans also individuals that voted for the ban most recently?

d_goddard

Quote from: Porcupine_in_MA on November 09, 2007, 12:02 PM NHFT
what about rallying business owners and other groups into some kind of permanant alliance against smoking bans?
Realistically, I don't see business owners doing mass CivDis.
As a business alliance, er, maybe... if someone wanted to work their way up in that organization, they way FSPers are already doing in the NH Republican and Libertarian parties.

Quote from: Porcupine_in_MA on November 09, 2007, 12:02 PM NHFT
Weren't Republicans also individuals that voted for the ban most recently?
No, at least, no more than the 10% that did last time.

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: d_goddard on November 09, 2007, 12:44 PM NHFT
Realistically, I don't see business owners doing mass CivDis.
As a business alliance, er, maybe... if someone wanted to work their way up in that organization, they way FSPers are already doing in the NH Republican and Libertarian parties.

I never said anything about civil disobedience, I was talking about a business alliance. Something new called "NH Business Owners For a Free Market" as an example. Just throwing out some possibilities here.

Quote from: d_goddard on November 09, 2007, 12:44 PM NHFT
No, at least, no more than the 10% that did last time.

Well thats good to know, but I still have to wonder whether just voting Republicans back into office is the solution. Maybe in the short term, but there needs to be something else done because as others have said, every year these anti-smoking groups kept working towards a ban.

alohamonkey

No - it wasn't in Londonderry. 

In case it's against the law, I'm not going to say where it's located on a public forum.  I'm looking forward to a nice stoagie and some drinks this weekend - don't want to spoil it.