• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Jung nuggets

Started by Caleb, February 17, 2008, 03:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Oops!  was I thinking that out loud? :P

kola

Quote from: Pat K on February 28, 2008, 06:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: kola on February 28, 2008, 05:05 PM NHFT
My apologies to you PatK..sincerely.

Kola

None needed, I expect to take hits as well as give them.

I guess your posts last night/early morning just kind of surprised as most often your posts are witty and funny. OTOH my comments are often provocative.

Kola

Caleb

Quote from: TheDUDE on February 28, 2008, 12:22 AM NHFT
That first Jungian nugget seems to be weighing in favor of things like religion, spiritualism, faith, etc. over rational thought and logic.  If that's what he's saying, then I gotta say i wholeheartedly disagree.  In my personal opinion, the world would be a whole lot better place if more decisions were made with one's intellect rather than one's feelings.  Not attacking anyone else's values or beliefs, but I think faith   in a "higher power" is a weakness.  Conversely, faith or belief in yourself, your own abilities, your friends, etc. makes you strong.  That's, of course, assuming it's not misplaced faith.  And that's where rational thought comes in.

That is exactly where Jung is going. In fact, as I post more, he will become even more explicitly anti-reason and pro-religion. He even spends about 20 pages in the Undiscovered Self talking about the difference between "religion" and what he calls "creeds". Almost every "religion" that I can think of would actually qualify as a creed according to Jung, and in that sense there is almost no authentic religion left in the world.

And in a sense, that is where I am also wanting to go, because I think there is too much reliance on "Reason" in today's world. You say that you think the world would be a whole lot better if more decisions were made with the intellect. This is actually not possible, which is the point that Jung makes, because so many of our decisions and impulses originate in the subconscious, and we are not even aware of where they are coming from. People therefore don't so much live their life by Reason as they do attempt to use Reason to intellectualize and rationalize their more instinctual nature. The result is that we live in a world that, in word anyway, DOES respect reason. Reason is put on a pedestal, and we convince ourselves that we have overcome our instinctual nature and have become creatures of Reason. This is not the case however. Man can no more cease being a man than a dog can cease being a dog.

This is not to deride reason, only to put it in its proper perspective. Reason is not this external thing. It is meaningless without someone to do the reasoning. It is a tool whose use requires an artisan, and that artisan is man, and will be limited by the skill of man. That tool will be wielded more powerfully to the extent that that man has not neglected his other emotional needs.

Caleb

Quote from: Pat K on February 28, 2008, 01:00 AM NHFT
Oh fucking please, I do not ignore evil nor do I participate in it,
except for what is forced from me.

And as little as that as I can prohibit.

Fuck Jung, and anybody else who wants to use word games
to imply other wise.

I have held off out of respect for others who are still trying to find their way.

I don't think that I implied that you did ignore it or participate in it. If you read what Jung was saying, then that would be expected: namely, that those who do not ignore evil would be less likely to participate in it.  :)

Sorry if I offended you. But I post these mainly for my benefit. And for the benefit of those few who are also interested in psychology as an approach towards dealing with people. Since the world continues to get worse, and nobody has found a solution, I think it good to study the human mind, to see why people behave the way they do. If you don't benefit from it, then there are other threads. And I shall try to confine my psychological "word games" to this thread.  :)

Caleb

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 28, 2008, 04:51 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on February 28, 2008, 01:00 AM NHFT
... wants to use word games

There is no free lunch  nor should there be.

You and only you are responsible  for your life.
I was thinking that last quote was a bunch of word games too.
Find out what you should do next ... then do it.

Word games? Surprising coming from you of all people, since Jung was talking about an inherently Christian concept: mankind's sin nature.

I think I should study psychology.  :)

kola

QuoteI think I should study psychology

you already are! and your hunger shows.

otoh..sometimes we "think" way too much and overanalyze and get lost.

I like simpleness... and like to just go with the flow... and live without questioning so many things and just see everything and everybody for what they are.

it doesn't have to be so intense and scrutinizing.

but to each his own. :)

Kola

BaneOfTheBeast

Quote from: Pat K on February 28, 2008, 04:13 PM NHFT

Cause I did not want  to.

Some times nice is over rated.

I am sure you will get over the trama.

Yeah, nice can be over rated... but I wouldn't think camaraderie was.
Sorry, I didn't take into consideration that you two were such good friends with the way you were talking to each other.
...and trauma? oh I don't know... I might need to seek therapy for my PTSD now  :P

Pat K

Quote from: BaneOfTheBeast on February 29, 2008, 01:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on February 28, 2008, 04:13 PM NHFT

Cause I did not want  to.

Some times nice is over rated.

I am sure you will get over the trama.

Yeah, nice can be over rated... but I wouldn't think camaraderie was.
Sorry, I didn't take into consideration that you two were such good friends with the way you were talking to each other.
...and trauma? oh I don't know... I might need to seek therapy for my PTSD now  :P

I will give ya some beer it's faster cheaper and often more effective
than therapy. :icon_pirat:

Caleb

depends on the beer. that bud light that you guys drink hardly qualifies as beer.  >:D

Pat K

Quote from: Caleb on February 29, 2008, 09:04 PM NHFT
depends on the beer. that bud light that you guys drink hardly qualifies as beer.  >:D

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH stop with that
crazy talk. Bud Light-just say NO!!

dalebert

Quote from: Pat K on February 29, 2008, 09:09 PM NHFT

A frosted mug has magical powers, kind of like the holy grail. Ask Jim about my reaction to Bud Light in a frosted mug.

Pat K

Quote from: dalebert on February 29, 2008, 11:54 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on February 29, 2008, 09:09 PM NHFT

A frosted mug has magical powers, kind of like the holy grail. Ask Jim about my reaction to Bud Light in a frosted mug.

Actually, I myself have been exposed to this phenomenon.

With regular Bud, in the frosted glass it is so cold ya can't taste
it to much and after 6 or 7 every thing is fine.

That Jim he has no fashion sense, but he is a fine host.