• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Countereconomic Raw Milk?

Started by Eli, May 01, 2008, 03:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Eli

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2008/04/0081992

So harpers has the above article of a dairy farmer and his fight against canada.  Are there any raw milk devotees on this site.  Are there any local NH sources for raw milk?  Might there be a demand?

ReverendRyan

Wow, that's ridiculous. As long as the unpasteurized stuff is clearly labeled as such (since most people assume it's pasteurized), what's the big deal? If you like the taste or think there's some magical health benefit to it that outwieghs the risks, whose business is it?

J’raxis 270145

ancapagency

There are folks around who sell raw milk.  But it's hard to come by--there's usually a waiting list, and the cows (as they do the whole "organic" thing) don't produce much, and there's basically none during the winter.

It's great if you can get it, but it's expensive.

Beth221

none during the winter?  Dont cows usually calf anywhere from late fall to early spring?

ancapagency

Quote from: Sapphire on May 01, 2008, 08:15 PM NHFT
none during the winter?  Dont cows usually calf anywhere from late fall to early spring?

Yes, but the cows aren't able to graze during the winter--and they're grass fed (for the whole organic thing).  They just don't get the "surplus" nutrition during the winter when they're enclosed--at least, that's how the raw milk producer explained it to me.

Recumbent ReCycler

There's a farm in Rollinsford that sells raw milk at the farm.

Free libertarian

All milk starts off as raw.  ;D . My dad grew up on a dairy farm and delivered milk on a horse and wagon as a youngster in the early 1930s...alot has changed since then.
Sort of reminds me of where we've gotten to in this country. If it's packaged right we'll eat it and never know how it was really handled in the transformation from Animal to food.
Many people are disassociated with where "food" comes from.  It's almost like they think there's a Jetsons type machine in the back of the grocery store where "food" is made.
With the prices of food today maybe a few more people will roll up their sleeves and begin to look at food as something they can grow rather than buy.  When a society loses sight of where food comes from and the ability to produce it on their own, they are vulnerable to price manipulation, market control and ultimately become more dependent on government to ensure "food safety" and make decisions that should be left up to individual's to decide. That can lead to a host of problems. I think it was Idi Amin who spouted some rhetoric about controlling people by controlling the food source.

Okay back on topic. One source of raw milk might be goats milk. Before you dismiss it, visit some goat dairies or a food coop or heck get a book on goats and consider raising some. Alot easier than cows and if done right the taste difference is insignificant.  I drink it whenever I can and except for the horns growing out of my head, I've noticed no side affects.     

The raw milk dairy in Rollinsford, wonder if that's the one MT Porcupine (Rich A.) is working at ?

Beth221

Quote from: ancapagency on May 02, 2008, 07:17 AM NHFT
Quote from: Sapphire on May 01, 2008, 08:15 PM NHFT

Yes, but the cows aren't able to graze during the winter--and they're grass fed (for the whole organic thing).  They just don't get the "surplus" nutrition during the winter when they're enclosed--at least, that's how the raw milk producer explained it to me.

i think your milk producer feed you a load of bull!

Grass fed, is any live grass or dried, which is called "hay", and they supplement with silage, which is fermented corn stalks, or other materials, like hay, or oats, fermentation causes heat, great for a winter supplement to warm their bellies, and give extra nutrients.   

One thing that commercial milk farms do differently than organic farmers do is what happens with the calves.  Commercial farmers, a calf is competition for the milk farmer, get rid of the calf, have more milk, by selling the calf to another farmer, or veal chops, or growing it on instant milk.  Where as organic farmers usually, let the calf nurse, and take the extra milk.  Cows, like humans, will produce milk as long as there is a need, demand equals supply.  A organic farmer may hand milk for their own family, until their hands cramp up, where as Hood uses a machine and sucks the udders dry twice a day.  Yes organic farmers use milking machines too, but thats not very green!  Unless you use the methane gas from the fermented cow manure, to run the milking machines, and the machines to make flower pots out of the poop (great dirty jobs episode! ) 

I am no cow expert, I just grew up playing in a slaughter house, and feeding calves their bottles.