• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Illegal Dancing

Started by mackler, April 28, 2008, 12:16 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Free libertarian

Quote from: mackler on April 30, 2008, 12:33 AM NHFT
Quote from: TackleTheWorld on April 29, 2008, 12:21 PM NHFT
Quote from: dalebert on April 29, 2008, 12:19 PM NHFT
Let's start learning the law and calling the cops every time some stupid law gets broken.

Bad idea.

...for so many reasons.

I think the intent of "calling the cops" to enforce stupid laws is an attempt to expose the idiocy of said laws.
While I generally agree calling the cops is a bad idea, why do you feel in this instance it would be a bad idea?
I'm not criticizing, just wondering what your thoughts are.  I'm personally undecided about if/when to call them, but think it would be kind of funny if they "had to" enforce said stupid laws and a baseball game on Sunday was stopped mid game, but maybe that's just my odd sense of humor coming out.  >:D

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: Free libertarian on April 30, 2008, 06:58 AM NHFT
Let's start learning the law and calling the cops every time some stupid law gets broken.

Bad idea.

...for so many reasons.

I think the intent of "calling the cops" to enforce stupid laws is an attempt to expose the idiocy of said laws.
While I generally agree calling the cops is a bad idea, why do you feel in this instance it would be a bad idea?
I'm not criticizing, just wondering what your thoughts are.  I'm personally undecided about if/when to call them, but think it would be kind of funny if they "had to" enforce said stupid laws and a baseball game on Sunday was stopped mid game, but maybe that's just my odd sense of humor coming out.  >:D

Let me count the ways:

You'd have to read laws
You'd have to talk to bureaucrats
The bureaucrats would have your phone number
The bureaucrats might be angry that you waste their time and send police after you
The police might come
You might have to talk with the police
You might have to show ID to police
You might have to answer 4,000 prying questions
The police might not like your flippant attitude.
The police might declare an illegal assembly.
The police might declare a riot.
The police might get  angry and call back up.
The police might arrest innocent people.
The police might arrest a number of innocent people, like ones just asking, "What's going on?"
You might get on the police department's naughty list.
The innocent people might be held in jail indefinitely.
The innocent people might be tormented and punished in jail.
The innocent people might have to pay thousands of dollars to get out of jail.
The innocent people's family might need them to provide care, guidance, food, shelter, but they're in jail.
The innocent people may lose their jobs.
The innocent people may get injected with unknown drugs, raped, or murdered in jail.

It's like buying the acme wild cat to attack your opponent:

ReverendRyan

Bad idea.

...for so many reasons.

I only see one appropriate circumstance where it would be ok: If it's a dedicated vice squad-type force and if all the offenders are willing to go to jail.

The last thing you want to do is bog down the entire police system. Because so many people have been taught to rely on them only, distracting too many cops would generate intense negative publicity at best, and at worst cost innocent lives.

If there's a dedicated force for malum prohibitum crimes, however, we should swamp them as much as possible. But only when whoever you're calling about is willing to take the dive.

mackler

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on April 30, 2008, 10:02 PM NHFT

Bad idea.

...for so many reasons.

Let me count the ways:

You'd have to read laws
You'd have to talk to bureaucrats
The bureaucrats would have your phone number
The bureaucrats might be angry that you waste their time and send police after you
The police might come
You might have to talk with the police
You might have to show ID to police
You might have to answer 4,000 prying questions
The police might not like your flippant attitude.
The police might declare an illegal assembly.
The police might declare a riot.
The police might get  angry and call back up.
The police might arrest innocent people.
The police might arrest a number of innocent people, like ones just asking, "What's going on?"
You might get on the police department's naughty list.
The innocent people might be held in jail indefinitely.
The innocent people might be tormented and punished in jail.
The innocent people might have to pay thousands of dollars to get out of jail.
The innocent people's family might need them to provide care, guidance, food, shelter, but they're in jail.
The innocent people may lose their jobs.
The innocent people may get injected with unknown drugs, raped, or murdered in jail.

You missed one:  If you called the cops every time some stupid law was broken, even if you had nothing else to do all day, you would quickly use up all your minutes and have an enormous phone bill.