• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I need some advice quick if anybody knows anything about old dogs! Please

Started by Raineyrocks, July 24, 2008, 02:12 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

My husband's german shepard, Cheyenne, is 13 years old so I know there may not be any help for her it just might be "her time", but I believe it never hurts to ask.

Rick just told me this morning that she hasn't eaten in 2 days, (we feed her the barf diet),  and that she's been throwing up here and there for the past 2 days.  I didn't know any of this until today so anyways now she is drinking but throwing up the water too and still  not eating anything, she won't get up.  :'(   

We tried to call vets but none will come to the house, one will but there's a 2 week wait and we don't have the time.  They said to bring her in but we can't see putting her through that at her age, we would have to somehow get her in the car, she hates vet's offices.  What do you think?  I'm wondering what they could do for her?  If they give her a fluid IV because of her throwing up she still isn't walking or eating.  She doesn't seem, (? how am I sure though), to be in any pain but if there is anything we should or can do will someone please let me know?

PattyLee loves dogs

We've got a couple of ancient dogs. We don't feed them much dog food, mostly tuna, meat, and whatever pie they can steal off the table (not sure about the health effects of the pie, but they must be healthy to jump up to the table).

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: raineyrocks on July 24, 2008, 02:12 PM NHFT
My husband's german shepard, Cheyenne, is 13 years old so I know there may not be any help for her it just might be "her time", but I believe it never hurts to ask.

Rick just told me this morning that she hasn't eaten in 2 days, (we feed her the barf diet),  and that she's been throwing up here and there for the past 2 days.  I didn't know any of this until today so anyways now she is drinking but throwing up the water too and still  not eating anything, she won't get up.  :'(   

We tried to call vets but none will come to the house, one will but there's a 2 week wait and we don't have the time.  They said to bring her in but we can't see putting her through that at her age, we would have to somehow get her in the car, she hates vet's offices.  What do you think?  I'm wondering what they could do for her?  If they give her a fluid IV because of her throwing up she still isn't walking or eating.  She doesn't seem, (? how am I sure though), to be in any pain but if there is anything we should or can do will someone please let me know?

If you can afford it and want to... you should get her to an animal hospital not just a vet clinic. Vet clinics are limited what they can do and often don't have 24 hour/weekend care. If you wait, she might be worse during the weekend and it is more difficult to get care.

turbo

I don't have any specific knowledge on dogs but just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear it's a tough situation. I have been in a similar kind of thing with one of my cats and I ended up taking him to the emergency clinic. They were so nice and understanding, as much as I stressed about bringing him in it was very relieving to know he was being taken care of.

It might just be a bump in the road that they can easily take care of. Even in the worst case at least they'd be able to relieve her of any suffering. Even if money is an issue I'd expect they'd be very accommodating.

Hope everything turns out OK  :-\  best of luck 

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on July 24, 2008, 04:38 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on July 24, 2008, 02:12 PM NHFT

If you can afford it and want to... you should get her to an animal hospital not just a vet clinic. Vet clinics are limited what they can do and often don't have 24 hour/weekend care. If you wait, she might be worse during the weekend and it is more difficult to get care.

Thanks, I'll go ask Rick right now if he wants to do that! :)   I just told him what you wrote and he said he will do that first thing in the morning, he also said thank you!

Dylboz

It sounds like Parvo, which is common in the summer. I don't think the vaccination lasts forever. The sooner it gets treated, the better! Get the dog in the car and haul ass to the vet or animal hospital.

margomaps

Another possibility is a total or partial intestinal obstruction.  Our cat exhibited the exact same symptoms as you described.  Threw up everything, including water, and stopped eating.  Brought it into the vet, and they suspected an obstruction.  Some IV's, an X-ray, an overnight stay, and 800-odd dollars later (we weren't willing to pay any more) , we brought the cat home.  It threw up a big hairball a day or two later, and then it was fine.