• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Is larger scale war over Georgia possible?

Started by memenode, August 26, 2008, 09:38 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

memenode

I am curious about the opinion of those whose beliefs and insights are close to mine, hence asking here. As you may know, Georgian government has around the start of the olympics invaded South Ossetia in response to its separatist tendencies. Russia has in turn responded by a pretty bold invasion of Georgia. Subsequently, the US government, NATO and EU were portraying Russia as the aggressor and demanded that it withdraws from Georgia entirely, as part of the cease fire agreement. Russia did not withdraw completely, but remained in two of the separatist regions; South Ossetia and Abkhazia, bringing criticism by "The West".

Fast forward to tuesday, Russia is recognizing South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent, creating an already tough stalemate into an even worse situation considering the nature of international gangstery. Some are comparing the situation with the situation in 1914, just before the start of the first world war and I've seen people rumoring that we're heading towards the next world war. Even LewRockwell.com has held some articles which made similar comparisons and implications, hitting on the hypocricy of the neoconservatives dominated west...

The reason situation is so fragile seems to come down to this. Georgia was meant to be a future NATO member (and NATO is supposed to defend all its member countries). Russia, being perceived as the aggressor against Georgia is now further perceived as an agent of splitting Georgia into three parts. This apparently pressures NATO and to it closely tied EU and US, to somehow respond to Russia, yet Medvedev, Russian president, goes around spouting such confident claims as that russia is not afraid of anything, not afraid of the new cold war etc.

They equate South Ossetian and Abkhazian independence to Kosovo's independence from Serbia, one which "The West" wholeheartedly supported (thus outlining the hypocricy involved). And speaking of hypocricy, it is interesting that Croatia, a country which itself declared independence from Yugoslavia in 1991 now, completely uncharacteristically considering its history, supports The West in its quest to keep Georgia whole, just showing what does our recent invitation to NATO really mean. It's just power play. We now have an official side. It's nothing about principles and even local interests. It's all about conforming to the larger whole that we've been sucked into.

And that whole has now been brought to the brink of a potential world war, because governments and alliances of their destructive forces (NATO) know the language of threats of force, "sanctions" or force itself best, has it? What do you think? Is it possible for this crisis to lead to a world war?

Reference: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080827/ap_on_re_eu/georgia;_ylt=AvkhNfu74eGdKrMhJ_aPPDpvaA8F

Thanks

K. Darien Freeheart

Quote from: 'gu3st'And that whole has now been brought to the brink of a potential world war, because governments and alliances of their destructive forces (NATO) know the language of threats of force, "sanctions" or force itself best, has it? What do you think? Is it possible for this crisis to lead to a world war?

I've got my own ideas and they're probably as close to "conspiracy theories" as I get. Do I think this will be a world war? No. I think in the next three years, this will be largely forgotten by most people. I do believe it's a symptom of a larger "agenda" and as more and more evidence mounts to confirm or contest it, I'll re-evaluate.

I really wish people would stop killing people in the name of government. :(

AntonLee

I support the new states, and I recognize them as well. . . only because one day I hope New Hampshire secedes and perhaps Russia will recognize us too!

or maybe not.

David

I'm convinced that this has been the start of a proxy war.  The US and Russia cannot logically have a direct war, so they use smaller pawns as proxies. 
This situation is not going to go away.  The US has made this regional conflict into a proxy war by interfering.  But this will still be going on long after the issue fades in the minds of most americans. 

John Edward Mercier

If you mean will it escalate? More than likely.

memenode

I also support the new states. I support secession of any kind anywhere so long as the secessionists are peaceful. In this case it seems the Georgian president ordered the first aggression, but I am also compelled to believe he wasn't all that alone in his decision... or maybe was, but didn't get his presidency alone.

And yeah, I wish people stopped shooting in the name of government too. All these bastards calling themselves presidents, premiers, chancellors or whatever are totally meaningless without people holding guns and taking their orders, like mindless drones. I sometimes wonder how the hell can they do it. I honestly sometimes think these people have a sort of mental illness and the reason nobody calls it illness is because it's so widespread it's considered normal, even desirable, and fueled by such virulent ideas as nationalism, jingoism, patriotism, "common good" indoctrination etc. Meh! Sickos!

I suppose a proxy war isn't quite an overture to a world war?

John Edward Mercier

My guess would be millions of voters in the US screaming about the high cost of fuel, and millions of citizens protesting about economic/social injustice in countries that support themselves through the export of petroleum products.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: gu3st on August 28, 2008, 12:45 PM NHFT
I also support the new states. I support secession of any kind anywhere so long as the secessionists are peaceful.

Hmm...