• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Twinkies for Obama

Started by Bill St. Clair, November 06, 2008, 07:49 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Quote from: dalebert on November 06, 2008, 10:19 PM NHFT
Quote from: Vitruvian on November 06, 2008, 09:53 PM NHFT
Would that be xylitol?

That sounds like drugs. I don't remember. I just recall that I had the darnedest time trying to find some in L.A.

It's called "Stevia", aka "sweet leaf".  No Dale, not that kind of sweet leaf.   :P  The FDA makes us refer to it as a "supplement" when in fact it is both a "supplement" as well as a "sweetener".  Another wonderful law you get to have guns pointed at you if you simply say the wrong thing (according to THEIR "dictates") or write it on a package or some crap.  Stevia is wonderful.  You only need to use 1/3 the amount as sugar for ALL of your recipes.  If it were not for the cane sugar laws (that is, government subsidizing, farm lobbying, pharma, blah blah blah, etc.) this stuff would be on everyone's table making them healthier and preventing illnesses like diabetes, etc.  Stevia can either be MORE or LESS expensive depending on how you shop.  When I went into Trader Joe's in Hyannis, they has a tiny bottle (plastic jar I guess it's called, like supermarket spice bottle size) and a larger shaker type dispenser with a twist off lid, which is about the size of main stream plastic Parmesan Cheese shakers (the standard size I guess).  The little one which was a hell of a lot less was 10 FRN's and the large one was 3 FRN's.  I never need sugar again.  It tastes better than sugar, it truly does.  Also, there is no awful sugar high and crash, set up for diabetes, rotting teeth, halitosis, etc. for people with the sweet tooth.
Stevia is a herb.  Stevia has zero calories.  Stevia is GOOD FOR YOU...  of course the fed's don't want you to have it.
check out this quick couple paragraphs about the truth:  http://www.stevia.net/
I'll share some of my recipes with you and I guarantee you will never want sugar again.  It will spoil it all for you.

dalebert

Quote from: Lumpy on November 07, 2008, 12:49 PM NHFT
It's called "Stevia", aka "sweet leaf".

That sounds really intriguing and it may be even better than what my friend was talking about but that's not it because what my friend mentioned does have calories, only half as much as sugar for the same amount of sweetness.

Lumpy

Quote from: dalebert on November 07, 2008, 01:30 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lumpy on November 07, 2008, 12:49 PM NHFT
It's called "Stevia", aka "sweet leaf".

That sounds really intriguing and it may be even better than what my friend was talking about but that's not it because what my friend mentioned does have calories, only half as much as sugar for the same amount of sweetness.

Though I am thoroughly tuned in to stevia, I'm interested to know what that other stuff is...  it shertainly ain't wot dey put in dem dare twinkies!

Kat Kanning

You can grow your own stevia easily :)

It doesn't do well with some types of foods.  Not sure how it would bake, either.

Sam A. Robrin

The main problem with this idea is that someone is likely to pretend that the stuff in the middle is liquid anthrax (anthrax leprosy pie?*) or something, if only for an excuse to create a panic and make himself appear all useful and important.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 08, 2008, 11:40 AM NHFT

It doesn't do well with some types of foods.  Not sure how it would bake, either.

Wow, I didn't know you could grow it.  Where do you get the seeds from? 

I have the liquid and powder and love it in iced tea.   I forget if I ever cooked with it but I think I might try sometime soon and I can let you know what it taste like in whatever I cook.  :)

Lumpy

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 08, 2008, 11:40 AM NHFT

Yeehaw!  I wanna grow ALL KINDS of stuff! ...  Perhaps Grafton bound, we will eventually be.