• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Top Ten Things to Think About If You Want to Change the World

Started by Friday, November 29, 2008, 02:32 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: MaineShark on November 30, 2008, 05:28 PM NHFT
Quote from: Libertine on November 30, 2008, 05:15 PM NHFT
Quote from: John Edward Mercier on November 30, 2008, 03:53 PM NHFTWho is Joan of Ark?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_Arc

I think John was making a spelling joke...

Joe

No, just short on time. Spelling and grammar isn't really an issue... as mine definately isn't perfect.
Though I'm not in anyway an expert on her... why would she be in the group?
I do understand her effort in overcoming attitudes surrounding her gender, but she simply returned France to the French Monarchy and the Roman Catholic Church. Which I would assert is not bringing either enlightment nor freedom to the people... just changing their master.
Is it the fact that she didn't seek the throne for herself?

Friday

Quote from: MaineShark on November 30, 2008, 01:13 PM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on November 29, 2008, 02:32 PM NHFT...Abraham Lincoln...

I think I'd have to delete Lincoln.  He was an extraordinarily-violent individual, and ordered countless deaths at the hands of his armies...

Joe
When typing in the initial post, I typed a disclaimer at the top saying "(except for the part about Lincoln  :P )".  But then I thought maybe I should disavow Joan of Ark (sic) as well...  And then I thought, well, this is ridiculous, why am I nit-picking my own post, it's not like I'm saying "this is my new life's philosophy", it's just an article I liked.  Doesn't mean I agree with every word of it.

As for deleting Lincoln, I wouldn't post another person's article, credited and with copyright notice, but cut out the parts I personally disagreed with. 

Daien

Quote from: Friday on December 02, 2008, 07:55 PM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on November 30, 2008, 01:13 PM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on November 29, 2008, 02:32 PM NHFT...Abraham Lincoln...

I think I'd have to delete Lincoln.  He was an extraordinarily-violent individual, and ordered countless deaths at the hands of his armies...

Joe
When typing in the initial post, I typed a disclaimer at the top saying "(except for the part about Lincoln  :P )".  But then I thought maybe I should disavow Joan of Ark (sic) as well...  And then I thought, well, this is ridiculous, why am I nit-picking my own post, it's not like I'm saying "this is my new life's philosophy", it's just an article I liked.  Doesn't mean I agree with every word of it.

As for deleting Lincoln, I wouldn't post another person's article, credited and with copyright notice, but cut out the parts I personally disagreed with. 

Nice integrity, Friday. +1

MaineShark

Quote from: Friday on December 02, 2008, 07:55 PM NHFTAs for deleting Lincoln, I wouldn't post another person's article, credited and with copyright notice, but cut out the parts I personally disagreed with.

I was stating that along the lines of "if I/you were to write something similar."

Although I can certainly see posting excerpts of an article, if part of it is good, and part of it is not.  Wouldn't really apply to excerpting a single name, but posting an article doesn't always require that the whole article be posted.

Joe

John Edward Mercier

I more just have a problem comprehending the author's line of thought.
The historic Joan of Arc returned territory to France and the Roman Catholic Church... but I would have thought more along the lines of Charlemagne in the uniting of the Frank tribes under the Church.
Without insight into the author... never know why Joan of Arc started the series of names listed.

BagOfEyebrows

A close friend of mine emailed me a month or two ago this quote from Gandhi, after we got through discussing democracy and charity (I can't stand the word/form of gov democracy, and I think charity is an unalienable/inalienable right not listed but 'among' the other rights, none the less):

Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi:

"Men ... should do their actual living and working in communities ... small enough to permit of genuine self-government and the assumption of personal responsibilities, federated into larger units in such a way that the temptation to abuse great power should not arise. The larger (structurally) a democracy grows, the less becomes the rule of the people and the smaller is the say of individuals and localised groups in dealing with their own destinies. Moreover, love and affection, are essentially personal relationships. Consequently, it is only in small groups that Charity, in the Pauline sense of the word, can manifest itself. Needless to say, the smallness of the group, in no way guarantees the emergence of Charity. In a large undifferentiated group, the possibility does not even exist, for the simple reason that most of its members cannot, in the nature of things, have personal relations with one another."

Then, a few days ago, I was surging this forum and came across your great post about Gandhi - that led to me re-watching the 3 hour movie about him and his life (available, in full, on google video) - I can't thank you enough for that inspiration to further research the man.  I knew of him, but spent a good chunk of time really delving into his works and words (the movie included.)  It was so great to watch it with 'new eyes' - and paying closer attention to all of the interesting details (especially the one where he was initially a lawyer/attorney... but then quit 'law' to focus solely on real law.)

The only thing that sorta freaked me out (cuz I know of quite a few great male patriots/philosophers, past and present, who do the same thing) was the part in the movie that talks about him abstaining from sex as he got older - he was married - this baffles the heck out of me.  I'm sure it's just a matter of personal preference and spirituality and all, but I have never understood that aspect of some male philosophers. 

One other thing, actually, kinda made me raise an eyebrow with the movie... some small mention of India, while gaining independence, also being included in some english commonwealth (???) of some sort.  That bummed me right out - reminded me of Estonia's gain of independence and then joining the UN - blech.  It seems in all cases of independence, there's still some sketchy, manipulative tie arranged to the corruption and control, slipped into the mix.  :(

Anyways, thanks again for your great, great post and for all the fantastic things it led to on this end - you unknowingly gave me one of my favorite 'days home' this year in New Hampshire - watching Gandhi and eating icecream with a fire going in the fireplace.  Thanks for that!  :)

Quote from: Friday on November 29, 2008, 02:32 PM NHFT
I just stumbled upon an article that I found helpful, so I thought I'd share.   :)

Top Ten Things to Think About If You Want to Change the World - Michael Angier

Mahatma Gandhi believed that we must be the change we want to see in the world. This was well demonstrated when he helped India gain its independence. Gandhi was a revolutionary man, but he accomplished India's emergence as a nation without starting a revolution. In fact, he advocated no violence. One of the most powerful countries in the world yielded to the commitment of one man and the dream of millions.

What change can we effect? What's the difference we want to make in the world?

Gandhi said, "In a gentle way you can shake the world." Here are some things to think about how to do just that ...

1. Know that all significant change throughout history has occurred not because of nations, armies, governments and certainly not committees. They happened as a result of the courage and commitment of individuals. People like Joan of Ark, Albert Einstein, Clara Barton, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Edison and Rosa Parks. They might not have done it alone, but they were, without question, the change makers.

2. Believe that you have a unique purpose and potential in the world. It's not so much something to create as to be discovered. And it's up to you to discover it. Believe that you can and will make a difference.

3. Recognize that everything you do, every step you take, every sentence you write, every word you speak-or DON'T speak--counts. Nothing is trivial. The world may be big, but there are no small things. Everything matters.

4. To be the change you want to see in the world, you don't have to be loud. You don't have to be eloquent. You don't have to be elected. You don't even have to be particularly smart or well educated. You do, however, have to be committed.

5. Take personal responsibility. Never think "it's not my job". It's a cop-out to say, "What can I do, I'm only one person." You don't need everyone's cooperation or anyone's permission to make changes. Remember this little gem, "If it's to be, it's up to me."

6. Don't get caught up in the how of things. If you're clear on what you want to change and why you want to change it, the how will come. Many significant things have been left undone because someone let the problem solving interfere with the decision-making.

7. Don't wait for things to be right in order to begin. Change is messy. Things will never be just right. Follow Teddy Roosevelt's timeless advice, "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

8. The genesis for change is awareness. We cannot change what we don't acknowledge. Most of the time, we aren't aware of what's wrong or what's not working. We don't see what could be. By becoming more aware, we begin the process of change.

9. Take to heart these words from Albert Einstein--arguably one of the smartest change masters who ever lived: "All meaningful and lasting change starts first in your imagination and then works its way out. Imagination is more important than knowledge."

10. In order for things to change, YOU have to change. We can't change others; we can only change ourselves. However, when WE change, it changes everything. And in doing so, we truly can be the change we want to see in the world.

The following is inscribed on the tomb of an Anglican Bishop in Westminster Abby (1100 A.D.) ...

QuoteWhen I was young and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world. As I grew older and wiser, I discovered the world would not change, so I shortened my sights somewhat and decided to change only my country.

But it, too, seemed immovable.

As I grew into my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt, I settled for changing only my family, those closest to me, but alas, they would have none of it.

And now, as I lie on my deathbed, I suddenly realize: If I had only changed myself first, then by example I would have changed my family.

From their inspiration and encouragement, I would then have been able to better my country, and who knows, I may have even changed the world.

Since my 10-point list above was inspired by Gandhi's belief, it seems appropriate to end with another of his quotes: "Consciously or unconsciously, every one of us does render some service or other. If we cultivate the habit of doing this service deliberately, our desire for service will steadily grow stronger and we will make not only our own happiness, but that of the world at large."

© Copyright 1995-2001 Success Networks International.
http://www.positivepath.net/ideasMA11.asp

Kat Kanning

The Gandhi movie was a big inspiration for us when we first came to NH  :)

Russell Kanning

having small communities where you can help people you know, seems like a good way to go

Pat K

Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 07, 2008, 04:30 AM NHFT
The Gandhi movie was a big inspiration for us when we first came to NH  :)

Wasn't a big inspiration for me.
Screen was like 9 inches.
I did nap very well though.  ;D