• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Silver 4 sale @ spot price till 11/3

Started by Dave Ridley, October 26, 2006, 11:15 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

Me gots about 130 troy ounces of silver for sale at today's spot price, $12.15 per troy ounce.  That is a price no coin dealer or mint will give you, or at least I've never been able to get one to!

It's in the form of pre-1965 90% silver U.S. coins...50 cent pieces, quarters, mercury dimes, etc.

As you may be aware, the advantages of buying silver in this form include these:  Because of their age many of these coins are starting to attain numismatic (antique) qualities without you having to pay a numismatic premium.  Mark Twain used to say "buy land; they've stopped making it."  The same is true of these coins, only there's no property tax.

They are also universally respected and obviously the dimes are the smallest type of silver denomination you can get, useful for little things you wouldn't want to expend a bullion coin on.   

The disadvantage is that you either have to spend a while counting them or you have to weigh them.   Another disadvantage is you have to either trust the seller a lot or shuffle through the coins a bit to make sure they're really all pre-1965.  I trusted the sellers in this case - Gate City in Nashua, and Colony Coin in Newton, MA.  But I will probably do checking anyway before I pass them on.

Probably the coins would weigh a little over 140 ounces total but ten percent of that is alloy so you subtract that to get the silver content.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Speak for them between now and November 3, and if they're not already spoken for I'll plan to hand 'em to you next time we meet.  Minimum order is 20 ounces.

error

Nice.

In the last month I've actually gotten two pre-1965 dimes out of circulation. Now, what to do with them...?