• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Charter schools and "adequate funding"

Started by KBCraig, August 04, 2006, 02:41 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

I don't think any tax monies should be used for education. But, for those engaged in the incremental fight, this is a good article.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Adequate+education%3f+Charter+school+does+it+for+less&articleId=b0cf1019-b6ec-4107-afe3-ce5e5f06d6c9

Adequate education? Charter school does it for less

NEW HAMPSHIRE?S first charter school is showing how ridiculous the education funding debate has become.

Seacoast Charter, founded two years ago, is a public elementary school that provides a rigorous curriculum and emphasizes the arts. It even teaches Shakespeare.

Too tough for grade-schoolers? A lot of parents don?t think so. The school has a waiting list. What it does not have is a lot of money. Seacoast Charter provided its highly sought product for an average cost of $6,500 per pupil this past academic year. The average per pupil cost for a New Hampshire public school is $11,200.

The school did not receive enough state funding last year and had to raise money just to survive. Nearly half of its per-pupil cost ? $3,000 ? was raised privately. And still, parents want their kids there.

The Claremont court rulings affirmed the idea that the state inadequately funds public schools. Seacoast Charter exposes that lie. Schools don?t need more money. They need to spend money more effectively.

aries

I got a survey from the NEA they wanted me to fill out asking me questions about things like charter schools and vouchers, constantly referring to "anti-education activists"

It said things like "How do you propose to increase the quality of air in schools?" to which I replied "Open some windows"
Also asked me if I supported the Claremont case which I said I do not.

I decided it was better to throw it out and leave them with no information at all about me than give them that. I belive they were decidedly against charter schools as well.