• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Google Earth needs to update NH.... Grrrrrrr..

Started by Alex Free Market, January 05, 2009, 10:40 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Free Market

Okay, I have officially been seething about this for a few years now... I think I can officially complain and legitimately say that I didn't jump the gun.   

The folks at Google Earth need to go in search of some new data for New Hampshire, because it is among the worst in the country.  I've seen areas of Nebraska and the Dakots in the middle of bumfuck nowhere which had excellent resolution (by the way, there are some cool missle silos visible in those states if your good at arial image interpretation you can spot them easy).   

So why can't Google Earth get some good data for New Hampshire.   It's all just a blurry blob.  Well, it's not quite as bad as some of the islands in the Pacifici ocean which are on the absolute lowest resolution... and those are literally blurry blobs..... but the rez on NH is not good anyway.  You can zoom in a bit, but you really can't get down to the house level and the street level to see them fairly clearly like you can with most other areas.

I've been waiting patiently for several years now.... I mean... are they going to wait another decades to update it, or what.  I would even subscribe to their pay service if I thought it would help get me better resolution, but sadly, I think you get the same exact data set even if you have the pay version.

Google Earth is my all time favorite play tool, as an adult.  I find endless uses for it of every variety.   I like to scope out places to live, to visit parks, to hike and jog, to map routes out for exercise... etc.... but I can't do any of that right now because the rez is just too low.  I can't even make out a 200 foot parking lot, nevermind a hiking trail.

FTL_Ian

AntonLee

for a while, as soon as you flew over the bridge from Seabrook into Hampton, it became quite quite blurry, you couldn't even see streets.  It has gotten better, but they've instead gone and intentionally blurred the areas of Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant.  I saved a few snapshots of it before it was blurred, I knew it would be eventually.

It'd be nice if they could put towns where they actually are, I went looking for Grafton once to see it was very far away from where it really is.

KBCraig

My gripe is with Google Maps Street View. Almost all of Maine and Vermont have street view, even in the rural areas. You can "drive" down a small two-lane highway in ME, but it ends as soon as you cross the NH border to Shelburne.

I know the driver didn't stop and turn around there, so turn on Street View for the north country, already!

Alex Free Market

Quote from: KBCraig on January 05, 2009, 01:39 PM NHFT
My gripe is with Google Maps Street View. Almost all of Maine and Vermont have street view, even in the rural areas. You can "drive" down a small two-lane highway in ME, but it ends as soon as you cross the NH border to Shelburne.

I know the driver didn't stop and turn around there, so turn on Street View for the north country, already!

It's like a conspiracy.  ;)   Like they are doing it on purpose.   hehe... well... I don't know what their malfunction, so theres no point in trying to explain it.   They just need to fix it, and make NH better... because I have not seen too many states with data that is as poor as it is for NH.   Not sure why this one state is singled out for poor quality service.  I mean... like they couldn't have picked.... Alabama... instead.  :D

AntonLee

it is strange, but in a way, I don't want my property shown on Google Maps personally.  I know, I also do not have a large tarp to put over the house.

Jitgos

They've got my house on a country road in Indiana with my Ron Paul sign in the yard and all. I'm sure NH will all go online this year.

toowm

I think southern parts of NH are lower resolution because Mass has a law restricting the resolution for "non-official" purposes. I haven't looked in a while, but if you zoom out, there is a demarcation line.

AntonLee

but I live in MA, and MA is much clearer than most of upper NH.  I can see my car in my driveway.

Hubbard

I don't like google street view... Or earth for that matter....

Lloyd Danforth

I don't remember any details but I read recently that a new global mapping service with higher rez than Google is coming out.

Russell Kanning

it's called Homeland Security Earth, but you have to have a government clearance to view it

... btw your front yard is looking good