• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Peak Oil

Started by shyfrog, March 01, 2010, 01:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

shyfrog

So, back when I first moved to NH and started going to some of the events, I remember hearing much ado about "peak oil" and even watched some fairly ridiculous "documentaries" about some of it. I kept thinking to myself, "where have I heard this argued against before?"

Now I remember! There was an article featuring Thomas Gold in WIRED back in 2000 that talked about the abiotic theory of oil formation. I was just reminded of this again on one of my friend's FB status updates:

http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/1130.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin

Alternatives are always a good thing to consider.   :icon_pirat:

Pat McCotter

Pat K

I don't peek at oil, I look right at it
and nothing has ever happened to me.

Pat McCotter

But then you get hot by lighting it on fire.

Russell Kanning

you also don't hear much when the price of gas goes down

it rose to crazy levels .... and now it is now tracking pretty much with dollar inflation over the long haul

shyfrog

We may see $4 gas again this summer....

BillKauffman

It is a very simple to understand the basic premise.

The discover curve pre-dates the production curve with a predictable "lag" between them.

If the discovery curve follows a typical bell curve, then you can predict when the peak will happen when you are on the downslope of the discovery curve.

Pat K

Quote from: shyfrog on April 12, 2010, 02:11 PM NHFT
We may see $4 gas again this summer....

Yes we may but not because of any kind of shortage.
In fact the world is awash in oil right now.
Like the last run up this being fuel by speculation in
the futures market. In witch the big boys will drive up the price then
get out before the crash leaving other folks in the crapper.
You keep running the same play till it can be stopped.

Of course if we do some thing stupid like actually attacking
Iran then all bets are off. Oil will sky rocket.

shyfrog

Peak Oil is really easy to understand... So is Global Warming. It has a lot to do with pirates  :icon_pirat:

Free libertarian

Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell were Pirates.  Pretty good ballplayers usually on lousy teams.  If I had known those bastards had something to do with global warming I would have put their baseball cards right in the spokes of the old Schwinn !   :icon_pirat: