• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Overpaid government worker steals money from taxpayers

Started by Fluff and Stuff, July 03, 2010, 10:27 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluff and Stuff

Some people may think I'm repeating myself in the title  :blush:

These folks make lots of money.  They make what, maybe triple (or is it quadruple?) what the average cashier even though their job is easier than being a cashier at Wal-Mart or Wendy's, for example.

QuoteRuggiero became the seventh of 10 Turnpike toll collectors, all arrested in June 2008 and accused of pocketing motorists' cash, to be convicted.

How many people did he really steal from at threat of arrest?  100?  1000?  10000?  But if 10 of the toll collectors were caught, you know there had to be more toll collectors guilty of pocketing tolls.  Who knows, maybe there were 100,000 extra illegal tolls collected in the last couple years in MA.  Or, maybe the toll collectors in MA just collected the correct amount but didn't turn it in.  In that case, they stole from every person in MA every time they did that.  So that would be perhaps 65,000,000,000 cases of stealing, or perhaps more.

Even in Boston, not a single person seemed to support this guy in the comments section.

Toll collector pleads guilty to stealing motorists' cash
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/07/toll_collector_1.html

dalebert

I saw the title and thought you were writing your autobiography.  But I forgive you.  :)

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: dalebert on July 03, 2010, 12:22 PM NHFT
I saw the title and thought you were writing your autobiography.  But I forgive you.  :)

And I forgive you for what you said :)  Actually, I get paid less than the average privatish sector worker.

Russell Kanning

how much do they get before they do their extra stealing?

Ogre

When I read the title, I thought, "But that's what they DO. They don't do anything else."

But after reading, I had a thought similar to Russell. I wonder how much they earn to begin with for doing the simple cashier job? I checked out Salary.com, and it puts the average for the MA toll collector at 18.17 an hr. That's almost 40K a year -- and if that's the average, half of toll collectors earn MORE than than (and half earn less). Yikes.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Ogre on July 03, 2010, 02:31 PM NHFT
When I read the title, I thought, "But that's what they DO. They don't do anything else."

But after reading, I had a thought similar to Russell. I wonder how much they earn to begin with for doing the simple cashier job? I checked out Salary.com, and it puts the average for the MA toll collector at 18.17 an hr. That's almost 40K a year -- and if that's the average, half of toll collectors earn MORE than than (and half earn less). Yikes.

It is a lot but...

That is a description of MEDIAN not AVERAGE. Just needed to pick that nit, y'know?

MaineShark

Quote from: Fluff and Stuff on July 03, 2010, 01:49 PM NHFT
Quote from: dalebert on July 03, 2010, 12:22 PM NHFTI saw the title and thought you were writing your autobiography.  But I forgive you.  :)
And I forgive you for what you said :)  Actually, I get paid less than the average privatish sector worker.

"I could have robbed you of more" is an excuse, these days?

Joe