• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Police Beat Man For Talking On Cell Phone

Started by Silent_Bob, September 06, 2011, 04:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent_Bob

http://hiphopwired.com/2010/08/16/police-beat-man-for-talking-on-cell-phone-22222/

Authorities in Denver are torn over a decision regarding two fellow officers punishment for the vicious beating of a man that was caught on video.

The video taken outside the city's downtown shows police officer Devin Sparks repeatedly hitting Michael DeHerrera with a department issued baton, while picking him up roughly and slamming a car door on his ankle.

The video has prompted Independent Monitor Richard Rosenthal to push for the firing of Sparks and Corporal Randy Murr.

Rosenthal, who monitors police internal investigations, maintains Sparks and Murr are unfit for the force because they didn't tell the truth about the April 4, 2009 incident. Rosenthal also believes the use of force by Sparks was excessive.

The victim Michael DeHerrera , filed a federal lawsuit against the city of Denver alleging excessive force and won.

DeHerrera has described the incident as police as beating him unconscious. He said he woke up in a hospital bed, with stitches and a swollen head and was diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome.

"The video was so important because it showed everything that happened, regardless of reports or what's filled out," DeHerrera said in an interview. "The video speaks more than any of those words can."

He added, "I don't swing. I don't blade. I'm on the phone. The only thing I hold onto is my phone. When I go down, I'm out, and that's when he continues to 'get my compliance.'"

The Denver City Council earlier this year agreed to pay $17,500 to settle the lawsuit.

DeHerrera was talking on the phone with his father at 12:14 a.m., when the incident occurred. The police had taken into custody DeHerrera's friend, Shawn Johnson, then 24, after he used a women's restroom and was ejected from a nightclub.

DeHerrera said he feared for his friend's safety and was asking for advice from his father, a Pueblo sheriff's deputy.

Both Johnson and DeHerrera were charged by police with interference and resisting arrest. Assistant City Attorney Vince DiCroce moved to dismiss the charges after reviewing the video "because there is no likelihood of conviction."