• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

FIJA activist kidnapped drugged and thrown in to mental hospital

Started by slim, November 06, 2009, 03:58 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

jerry

I don't know any more about his current situation, but I've met Julian a few times in Pennsylvania, where his marijuana activism at Penn State was so successful that the local police chief ordered his men to stop arresting Julian for _any_ reason.  He's a retired professor, has won several elections on the Libertarian ticket, and is the quintessential  sweet old man.

jerryswife

Julian may be a sweet old man but he is tough as nails and definitely one of my heroes.  He has been an activist all of his life and is not afraid to suffer the consequences of his activism.  One of his other recent causes was prison reform, specifically the problems of TB and HIV spread in prisons which, when inmates are released back into society, pose a real threat to the general population.  I think it was a way of getting more humane treatment for inmates by appealing to people's self-interest, really the best strategy.  He was a speaker at a lib dinner in PA and he brought tears to my eyes, but then, Hallmark commercials make me cry.

slim

I have no idea if Julian is a FSP participant but if he is not someone might want to reach out to him and tell him that people in NH are doing FIJA activism also with more people comes a level of security.

Kat Kanning

Bill St. Clair

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 08, 2009, 06:20 AM NHFT
Any word if he's still imprisoned?

Looks like they kept him overnight, after a good drug-induced sleep, then let him out the next morning. Wouldn't be surprised if he tries again tomorrow.

http://fija.org/forums/index.php?topic=513.msg948#msg948

jerry

TackleTheWorld

Julian was back with his FIJA pamphlets in NYC yesterday

From Blog of Bile

4. FIJA DEMONSTRATION OF 4–19–10

I arrived at the U. S. District Courthouse for the Southern District of New York at 500 Pearl Street in Manhattan at 11:42 am on Monday, April 19, 2010. It was an overcast, cool, and windy day. I had my JURY INFO sign and FIJA pamphlets.

Immediately upon my arrival, Homeland Security Officer Barnes approached me and instructed me not to distribute literature. I said nothing. He moved away, but he and 2 other officers stood in front of me about 20 feet away. I started to pass out the FIJA pamphlet "A Primer for Prospective Jurors" along with my 1-page insert. As soon as I gave my first pamphlet, the three officers approached me and placed me under arrest.

I fell to the ground face down. The officers rolled me onto my back and confiscated my sign and remaining pamphlets. They left a citation for violation of 41 CFR Section 102 § 74.415(c) "Unauthorized Distribution of Pamphlets." I was then unarrested and instructed to leave. However I remained in the spread eagle position and did not move a muscle nor utter a sound. Passersby asked the police what was wrong with me and showed concern.

This became embarrassing for the police, so I was threatened with a second arrest if I did not leave. I ignored them. At about 12:10 pm, they called an ambulance, which arrived at about 12:30 pm. I was lifted onto a stretcher and put into the ambulance. In the ambulance were 2 medics, a Homeland Security police officer (presumably Officer Barnes), and a driver.

After about 10 minutes of discussion between Barnes and the medics, Barnes left the ambulance. One medic beat my chest and throat in an effort to get me to talk. I said nothing and did not move. They started a medical exam of me which included blood pressure, pulse, electrocardiogram, and drawing blood for a sugar test. We left the courthouse at 12:55 pm and arrived at the New York Downtown Hospital before 1:15 pm.

I was placed on a gurney and moved into the hospital. One of the nurses recognized me from my previous visit on November 23, 2009. I was left alone at about 1:20 pm. I got up and walked out of the hospital at 1:25 pm without signing out.

Kat Kanning

Tom Sawyer

It is criminal to leave a hospital without checking out first in many locales.  :P

A friend told me a story about his friend being arrested for it.

Bill St. Clair

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on April 20, 2010, 02:04 PM NHFT
It is criminal to leave a hospital without checking out first in many locales.  :P

A friend told me a story about his friend being arrested for it.

No. It is NOT criminal to leave a hospital without checking out. Unless you hurt somebody or damage or steal their stuff while doing it. It may be statutorily forbidden, and fraudulently treated as a crime by the corporate court system, but that's completely different than being actually criminal.

Language creates reality.

KBCraig

Update from one of Julian's cases:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/nyregion/brief-details-jury-nullification-case-against-julian-heicklen.html

Prosecution Explains Jury Tampering Charge
By BENJAMIN WEISER
Published: November 27, 2011

Julian P. Heicklen, a 79-year-old retired chemistry professor, has often stood on a plaza outside the United States Courthouse in Manhattan, holding a "Jury Info" sign and handing out brochures that advocate jury nullification, the controversial view that if jurors disagree with a law, they may ignore their oaths to follow it and may acquit a defendant who violated it.

Then, last year, federal prosecutors had Mr. Heicklen indicted, charging that his activity violated the law against jury tampering. Lawyers assisting him have sought dismissal of the case on First Amendment grounds.

But now prosecutors are offering their first detailed explanation for why they charged Mr. Heicklen, arguing in a brief that his "advocacy of jury nullification, directed as it is to jurors, would be both criminal and without Constitutional protections no matter where it occurred."

"His speech is not protected by the First Amendment," prosecutors wrote.

"No legal system could long survive," they added, "if it gave every individual the option of disregarding with impunity any law which by his personal standard was judged morally untenable."

littlehawk

Hmm. Parmedics did all that shit to him without his consent?