• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Gee, How Are They Gonna Do This?

Started by Lloyd Danforth, January 29, 2012, 07:33 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_DRUGGED_DRIVING?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=

Police seek help on drugged driving

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- The federal government should help police departments nationwide obtain the tools and training needed to attack a rising scourge of driving under the influence, two U.S. senators said Sunday.

Sens. Charles Schumer of New York and Mark Pryor of Arkansas proposed that federal funding in a pending transportation funding bill be used for research and to train police. They said police have no equipment and few have training in identifying drugged drivers, who don't show the same outward signs of intoxication as drunken drivers do, such as slurred speech.

Silent_Bob

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 29, 2012, 07:33 AM NHFT
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_DRUGGED_DRIVING?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- The federal government should help police departments nationwide obtain the tools and training needed to attack a rising scourge of driving under the influence, two U.S. senators said Sunday.

Sens. Charles Schumer of New York and Mark Pryor of Arkansas proposed that federal funding in a pending transportation funding bill be used for research and to train police. They said police have no equipment and few have training in identifying drugged drivers, who don't show the same outward signs of intoxication as drunken drivers do, such as slurred speech.

Roadside spinal taps.

Tom Sawyer

Re: Gee, How Are They Gonna Do This?

They can look at how the person's eye movement track, supposedly your eyes don't track together well when high on cannabis.

Although I've heard that one of the things that perhaps had been keeping from the implementation of more drugged driving laws and enforcement was the powers that be didn't want to open the whole can of worms of determining what level of use caused impairment. I remember an article in Car and Driver (I think) that tested alcohol and cannabis effect on driving safety. Alcohol faired much worse than cannabis, in fact at moderate doses some people performed better.

Tom Sawyer

BJ

Marijuana residue in your hair from smoking 2 months ago? DUI!

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 29, 2012, 01:39 PM NHFT
Re: Gee, How Are They Gonna Do This?

They can look at how the person's eye movement track, supposedly your eyes don't track together well when high on cannabis.

Wait, what? You want them to actually have to prove impairment, rather than just testing for an arbitrary level of a substance that was consumed sometime in the past?

You, Sir, are standing in the way of efficient police work!

QuoteI remember an article in Car and Driver (I think) that tested alcohol and cannabis effect on driving safety. Alcohol faired much worse than cannabis, in fact at moderate doses some people performed better.

I remember that article. The smokers had to be totally baked before they deteriorated in skills, and the challenge at that point was getting them to get off the couch and into the car. I think their only real point of concern with driving while high, was that while they were getting better reaction times while high, they were also focusing right in front of the hood ornament instead of looking down the road.

The drinkers got worse with each drink, yet more determined to prove they could drive.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Silent_Bob on January 29, 2012, 12:22 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 29, 2012, 07:33 AM NHFT

Roadside spinal taps.

Yikes !  :o  I think I'd rather get tasered. :(